DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to these boards, and to the whole EV scene in general. I was a diehard ICE guy for a while, but I've seen the intoxicating power and performance of these vehicle and have fallen head over heels for these things! The 300zx is notorious for its insanely difficult to work on engine, but it's a stunning car to see on the road. It's a car that I've always wanted to own and drive, but the inability to really work on one made me sceptical of ownership.

I've done a fair amount of reading and watched a ton of videos to fully understand how these electric swaps go. I'm still not fully clear on all the tiny details, but I am still in the planning phase of this swap.

I'm an electrician by trade and an avid gearhead that has done most car maintenance items, minus internal engine work. My goal is a daily driver to get me to and from the city (100 miles a day) and something fun to drive as a whole.

Car: Nissan 300zx 2+2
Motor: Tesla Model S Large drive unit
Battery pack: Tesla Battery modules (16) 375v
Transmission: 300zx 5 Speed
Charger: Unsure whether to use the Tesla one or something else
DC/DC converter: TBD

I plan on doing something similar to the Tesla powered Audi, but retaining the stock transmission for shorter gearing to hopefully shred some serious rubber. Any and all information to read and get a full understanding of all the components needed would be awesome. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
That's an interesting project. I have no idea where you are going to put 16 modules totalling 254 litres (9 cubic feet) and 400 kg (880 lb) plus mounting and housing, especially while retaining the stock transmission and final drive, and the shaft connecting them, and having the motor in former engine bay... but it will be interesting to watch. I assume that the back seat will be sacrificed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Off the top of my head, you're carrying about 3x the amount of battery you need. So Tesla modules are a bad choice, IMO.

I'm also at a complete loss on how you are propelling the car with a large drive unit (which in the stock cradle config is waaay too wide) and still running power through the original drivetrain. Seems like an awful waste of space when you have little to spare. I'd go with bolting a motor to the input shaft of the transmission if you want to have the fun of shifting.

As Brian noted, you're adding in 900 pounds - that will totally wreck the handling of the car to where you might as well be converting a 1975 Chevy pickup truck. You need a pack that'll meet your current and voltage range and my math puts that around 25-30kWh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there!
I pulled my engine and transmission last summer from my 300zx 2+2 and purchased 20 LG Chem batteries. Just wondering what progress you've made as we will be facing near identical concerns for our builds. I read about a conversion for a Mini and we might need to address space concerns as well. Hope to hear from you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any progress on this? I am beginning to plan this conversion on paper but I‘ve never done one before at all. I won’t be ready to start for a few years so I’m trying to learn what I can now. The 300zx is my dream car and I’d love an EV so it seems an obvious choice. I’ve been able to find a few posts here and elsewhere about the conversion but now finished products.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a bunch of "stuff". I really don't know what all I've purchased or how to assemble it. Someone ripped the guts from their old EV build and I bought it all. I need to get educated on each component and then bench test with one or two batteries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts