DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm looking into converting a walk behind mower to electric and can use some direction. I've been using a 42' lawn tractor for years but my new place has a yard the size of a postage stamp. I decided buy a kobalt 80v 21" mower with the 5ah battery. I returned it 2 weeks later. It was amazingly quiet, but left random blades of grass uncut with every pass. Cutting twice still didn't give the cut I would expect. I also realized going from 42" to 21" sucked, even with a small yard.
I think a wide walk behind mower might be my next option, currently looking through the classifieds. I'm trying to figure out motor and voltage for this project. Amazon has a 2000 watt 48v motor and a 3000 watt 72v motor. Will any of these work? One 36" cut has an 11 hp motor for comparison. I would like a 80 minutes of run time but 60 would work and enough power to cut grass quick in 1 pass. I've added a picture for the type of mower I'm looking to convert.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Look at Motenergy ME1004. It is designed to replace small engines on various small garden tractors, mowers, etc. Nice thing about it if your implement has a clutch, you can run it directly from the battery pack without a motor controller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so the ME1004 is 24-48 volts and 200amp rated. Can anyone suggest a battery setup that will cut grass for 90 minutes? Is there an affordable option?

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have a rough cut Swisher 44" that pulls 50-60A on medium grass. I also have a Husqvarna riding mower with two blade deck (don't remember the size), it pulls about 70-80A just for the deck. I would say in your case it's reasonable to plan for 60-70A of draw, so about 100Ah for 90 minutes. I imagine that would be quite a heavy battery even being Lithium (over 100lb likely). If you really need to run it for 90 minutes, perhaps consider building two batteries, like 7 module Nissan Leaf 66Ah (usable typically about 50Ah).

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
I have a rough cut Swisher 44" that pulls 50-60A on medium grass. I also have a Husqvarna riding mower with two blade deck (don't remember the size), it pulls about 70-80A just for the deck. I would say in your case it's reasonable to plan for 60-70A of draw, so about 100Ah for 90 minutes. I imagine that would be quite a heavy battery even being Lithium (over 100lb likely). If you really need to run it for 90 minutes, perhaps consider building two batteries, like 7 module Nissan Leaf 66Ah (usable typically about 50Ah).
What is the voltage to go with those currents? About 50 V (using components intended for nominally 48V), perhaps?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.