DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
I would like to be able to have one installed in my vehicle and rig adapters to plug it into an RV campground or marina 30A or 50A supply.

And to convert output to 12V or 24V as required.

Any suggestions? assume I'm a total noob.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I would like to be able to have one installed in my vehicle and rig adapters to plug it into an RV campground or marina 30A or 50A supply.
That part is trivial, at least for 240V/50A, although the whole charging station would be carried around as cargo and dumped on the ground beside the campsite's power pedestal; the whole point of this product is to be the stationary side of a detachable charging connection. These Level 2 charging stations are designed to plug into common (for the voltage and current) household outlets:
  • the NEMA 6-50 plug on this charger corresponds to the common receptacle used for North American standard for campsites with 50A service (three-wire 240V, 50A), also used for residential kitchen ranges, and
  • the North American standard for campsites with 30A services is a NEMA TT-30 connector, for which an adapter to NEMA 6-50 is readily available... although the charger could only operate at Level 1 with only 120 V input, if it operates at all.
And to convert output to 12V or 24V as required.
This hardware is a just a fancy cord, with circuitry to exchange capacity information with the car's charger, and a relay to turn on only when appropriate. It doesn't convert the power at all; it just passes the 120V or 240V AC power to the car's onboard charger, which handles the conversion to DC at battery voltage. The vehicle with a compatible port is expecting 120V or 240V AC power.

If you want a latching connection for an onboard low-voltage DC charger, I don't think it makes sense to use any hardware designed to support a connection following the SAE J1772 standard. It would make more sense to me to just install a 120 V AC to 12V or 24V DC charger onboard, with a detachable power cord using a NEMA L5-30 connector on the vehicle end and TT-30 on the campsite end. This is a common RV "shore power" configuration (example). If you don't mind a uncommon and proprietary connector, a SmartPlug is a better design for the vehicle end. You're not really going to exceed 3 kW of charging on a 12V or 24V system, are you?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts