DIY Electric Car Forums banner

4 wheel very light vehicle technology choices

1347 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  MalibuMan
I am thinking about a 4-wheel single-seater vehicle that is inside the L6e rules. These are max 4000W and max 45 km/h. This will be a road-legal 'moped' with cheap insurance/no tax.

For the layout I want to have a cyclekart type of body (torpedo-like hull) with the 4 wheels all on wishbone suspension. Wheels are 26" carbon bicycle wheels made by Aerospoke. Weight should be below 250 kg with 1 driver included. Max distance ~120 km.

Now my questions are:
1. Which 4000W motor should I use?
2. Can I use a beltdrive from the motor to the axles
3. Which size / how many teeth for the gears on the motor and axle side
4. What differential do you recommend?
5. what kind of drive shafts and connections?
6. Voltage of the battery packs and how many
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Just a wee comment
4,000 watts -

What does that mean?
My DC motor is rated at 10Kw - but I put over 100Kw through it

If you fit a 4Kw motor can you just use a more powerful controller?

As far as the mechanics are concerned probably best to get hold of a Quad Bike and use it's parts
Duncan, I think the regulation means 4000 W at the rear wheels. If that can be accomplished by by a small motor with high Ampere or a big motor with lower Ampere is exactly what I hope to learn at this forum.

All I know is that in the Netherlands you have the pedelec class which is 250W, then the s-pedelec which is 500W and the next up is the moped class which is max 4000W.

As a 250 W can propel a bike to at least 25 km/h, and a 500W goes up to 45 km/h if you cycle along, I expect my 4-wheel kart to go somewhere around 80 km/h. Which is too much legally so I have to limit the speed somehow to 45 km/h, maybe 50 if I take into account the margin the police subtracts for measurement error.
Got any kit that is certified to ECE R100 but most importantly ECE R10?

There are some three wheeled bikes bit differentials, else look for some old quad parts.

These are required by european law, where are you located?
South of the Netherlands.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.