DIY Electric Car Forums banner

400AH lithium cells? Best price per AH? $0.85/ AH?

15441 Views 216 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  sportcoupe
I'm looking to make a storage battery for a camper. Lithium is a better value for the money than lead IMO.

I want a 12v 400AH lithium pack as simple as can be. Fewer cells is better, isn't it? So, that's four 400AH cells I need plus a BMS.

I've heard prices are as low as $0.85/ AH if not in a hurry. Is that correct? Suggestion or comments?

Thanks!
-John
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
I'm selling EIG 20AH Lipo cells for $1.50/AH OBO. I have 90 of them. They have all been tested and placed in manufacturers recommended storage voltage (3.8V). I have all the details for them and can printout discharge curves and provide all pertinent information.

I also have about 200 Turnigy 8AH cells. Only about half have been tested and placed into storage.

Let me know if you are interested.
[email protected]

· Registered
17 Posts
If Lipos are only used in RC vehicles, why are they found in commercial electric vehicles? If only 100 cycles, then EV's would stop working before the end of a year. Yes, Lithium Ion batteries are the most unstable, Lithium polymer being more stable, and LiFe batteries being the most stable.

Oh and C-rates for RC type batteries are typically much higher than 20C....just look it up to see how much hot air Sunking is blowing. Gotta love when people think they know everything because they did one install and are suddenly experts.

When considering the type of battery you want, make sure to look at how much charge they can take at a time. That will help determine what application you would like to use them for.

They cannot and is of no concern for scum bag spammer. LiPo is the last thing you want for a house battery or any application requiring long life as LiPo only have roughly 100 cycles in them. LiPo's are used in RC aircraft where C-Rates run 20C or greater continuous. Extremely dangerous lithium batteries notorious for catching fire.

They do have a application in EV used as Drag Racers where you can put a very small battery in, just enough for 1 or 2 runs. Some of the new ones claim 100C-Rate for 10 seconds which is all you need for a drag race. A 20 pound battery vs a 1000 pound battery.

· Registered
17 Posts
They are not found in EV's you moron spammer. Now get lost.
Sunking, you need to chill-out and learn some manners. How old are you, 15? Yes they are found in EV's, they are also used for backups or high energy storage.

LiPos are not Lithium Ion. That's like saying NiCD are the same as NiMH batteries. Their are pros and cons to all different types of battery chemistry. Some have higher internal resistances than others. However, if you have a large enough bank, then it doesn't matter as you would be able to pull in all solar energy as it would be distributed over your entire bank. Kind of like pouring water into an ice cube tray really fast.

Stop spamming me Sunking and offer information, not animosity.

· Registered
17 Posts
They cannot and is of no concern for scum bag spammer. LiPo is the last thing you want for a house battery or any application requiring long life as LiPo only have roughly 100 cycles in them. LiPo's are used in RC aircraft where C-Rates run 20C or greater continuous. Extremely dangerous lithium batteries notorious for catching fire.

They do have a application in EV used as Drag Racers where you can put a very small battery in, just enough for 1 or 2 runs. Some of the new ones claim 100C-Rate for 10 seconds which is all you need for a drag race. A 20 pound battery vs a 1000 pound battery.
(1) Lithium batteries have been used heavily in all EV's, not just drag racers.
And please by all means Sunking, tell me what deep-cycle or AGM battery can put out the equivalent of a Lithium pack and weigh less? However, I don't think weight is much of a concern in the case posted here anyway. So I'm not sure why you are making a case for it. And while Lithium Ion batteries are more unstable, I don't have Lithium Ion, they are Lithium Polymer, which are used heavily on electric bike conversions as well. Don't hear about a lot of fires with them....or are you just talking smack?

(2) You get different voltages from configurations that are higher, such as a 4S configuration that would have a nominal voltage of 14.6V using things like DC converters and voltage regulators.

I've built battery banks using these before. Mostly for my personal computer, but have also used it in conjunction with a couple solar panels on top of my camper, and other projects. The only real limitation I'd say they have would be their terminal voltage being around 3-3.2V and requires a monitoring device and charger that can prevent over-discharge and over-charging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.