DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm from Switzerland and I'm planning to convert my Nissan Patrol Y61 to electric.
Hopefully I can get and later give myself some help here in this forum.

Thoughts on my project:

The motor to replace is a 3.0l diesel with 118 kW / 380 Nm.
Due to law restrictions the new motor must not exceed (at max. / measured at the wheel) the power of 141 kW (easy motor swap registration) or 165 kW (upper limit for individual examination).
I'd like to keep the switchable 4WD and therefore keep the transfer case.

It looks like there are three options to realize my project:
Either I use new components OR
I buy a salvaged S85 or so and use as many parts of that car (using a Model 3 du though with a 3.8:1 reduction gear set connected directly to the transfer case) OR
I buy a used BMW i3 94 Ah, add some battery modules (to get 7s2p / 319 V / 74 kWh for example) and
put all together in my patrol. The motor would be connected directly to the original flywheel to keep the several gear ratio options then.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nissan Patrol Y61
They are a heavy car to start with mate, but also buckets of room for batteries, massive engine bay for batteries, and a very solid suspension setup, and you can buy even stronger suspension for more weight. So that's in the bag. I believe companies in Australia also have GVM upgrade kits.

The motor to replace is a 3.0l diesel with 118 kW / 380 Nm.
Due to law restrictions the new motor must not exceed (at max. / measured at the wheel) the power of 141 kW (easy motor swap registration) or 165 kW (upper limit for individual examination).
So you will see some drivetrain loss, but not a huge amount, how do they see them as "tuned", is it a dyno test or some form of test? Or can you say "It's a [Motor] and as you can see from the computer, I've programmed it for [Power output]"

But the ZD30 is a rubbish motor, doesn't handle heat or load very well. They are hated here in Australia, people actively avoid them and pay next to nothing for one. It's a negative in negotiations. I can see why you don't want it.

I'd like to keep the switchable 4WD and therefore keep the transfer case.
Yep, I'd say the easiest way would be to keep the gearbox too, a bloke called Don Incoll did a Series Landrover in Australia, and he kept the box as well.

His logic there is that it allows him better torque flexibility when off-road. That thing could literally climb a mountain.

You can see his posts by joining this Facebook group: Facebook Groups

It looks like there are three options to realize my project:
Either I use new components OR
I buy a salvaged S85 or so and use as many parts of that car (using a Model 3 du though with a 3.8:1 reduction gear set connected directly to the transfer case) OR
I buy a used BMW i3 94 Ah, add some battery modules (to get 7s2p / 319 V / 74 kWh for example) and
put all together in my patrol. The motor would be connected directly to the original flywheel to keep the several gear ratio options then.
That last option would be my bet mate depending on the costs, and availability of VCU's for conversions.

Though a Tesla motor could also work and the cells are better. But I'd go with keeping the gearbox, that means you can retain the cable speedometer and all, that's an issue I have at the moment with my project, how I'm going to have a speedometer now I've thrown the gearbox in the bin.

Speedometers are kind of important.

But best of luck and look forward to seeing the build!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Scotty!

They are a heavy car to start with mate, but also buckets of room for batteries, massive engine bay for batteries, and a very solid suspension setup, and you can buy even stronger suspension for more weight.
Matches my thoughts. :) I've already Old Man Emu Springs (+400kg rear) and Tough Dog shocks installed as I took part in an amateur rally from Budapest across the Sahara desert to Sierra Leone in Western Africa:

is it a dyno test or some form of test?
Yes. You have to provide them a dyno test report. Swiss officials love certificates and all sorts of paperwork...

But the ZD30 is a rubbish motor, doesn't handle heat or load very well. They are hated here in Australia, people actively avoid them and pay next to nothing for one. It's a negative in negotiations. I can see why you don't want it.
I know. I had my first GU Patrol when we travelled up the east coast during a three months trip to Australia. There we got to know several mechanics and learnt about the nickname "the grenade" of the ZD30. :-D
I don't think it's that terrible in terms of reliability but I definitely can't live with the fuel consumption and the poor performance.

Yep, I'd say the easiest way would be to keep the gearbox too, a bloke called Don Incoll did a Series Landrover in Australia, and he kept the box as well. His logic there is that it allows him better torque flexibility when off-road. That thing could literally climb a mountain.
By keeping the transfer case I'd keep the reduction gear. So I expected this to give enough torque flexibility.
The Speedometer wouldn't be a problem as the pinion sits in the transfer case not in the transmission. "Hollowing out" the transmission case by directly connecting the motor with the transfer case would lower the weight a bit, too.

However. The BMW i3 option looks like being by far the best in terms of costs. Storing the battery modules will be a bit tricky due to their form factor but solvable. The major concern is if I can find a suitable VCU. I've no clue so far.

But best of luck and look forward to seeing the build!
Thanks mate. Me too!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts