DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my planned EV Conversion of an E46 Touring, I'll be using 10 Tesla Modules, giving me a 232 nominal voltage. most CHAdeMO DC fast chargers either don't support voltages around 240 or less, or will, but only at 25kW (not enough).

I'm using a GS450H inverter and Tesla gen 2 also open to the idea of CCS, I'm thinking of using a buck converter from 400V 125A down to 200V 250A, anyone have any ideas of what I could use or a better idea?

Regards

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you can find a 250A buck converter, go ahead. I'd call that a suboptimal battery configuration anyways.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
A DC-to-DC converter is actually the solution used in the Porsche Taycan to allow charging of the car's battery from a common DC fast charger with battery and charger voltages different by a factor of two... at 50 kW. In that case, it's an 800 V battery, so the car carries a step-up converter, while this would be a step-down.

Of course, in the Porsche case there is a strong technical argument for the unusual battery voltage, there are some charging stations which run at that battery voltage so the converter is not always needed, the converter limits charging rate (compared to using the right voltage of charging station), and that on-board DC-to-DC can cost as much as a whole DIY conversion and the wealthy car owner won't even notice it in the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
50kw would charge the battery faster and can go up to 120kw and charging will be complete in 30 mins in case of Li-on battery.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not conducive to longevity if you do that regularly.

If only occasionally when the cells are hot and time is money, then NBD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts