DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I live in Oklahoma City, USA, and have recently become very interested in DIY EV conversions of vintage vehicles.

So here's what I'm planning to do:

This fall I'll be buying a 1958-1960 Ford F-100 Pick Up. I'll be giving it a traditional hot rod look, but will stay with pretty much stock mechanicals (for now). See attached photo for the vibe I'm after.

Hopefully not too far down the road, I'll be converting it to become an EV.

This will be a pretty bare bones old-school hot rod, but with a big upgrade when it goes EV. This build will be sort of a sleeper EV hot rod.

My thinking is that there should be plenty of room for batteries (some under the hood, and some under the bed).

Right now I don't know enough about EV conversions to even ask intelligent questions, except for some basic ones as follows:

1.) Shorter range is OK with me (+ or - 50 miles or so), but I want this to be a true hot rod with plenty of punch. What should I be thinking about when I look for my truck in terms of transmissions, etc.

2.) What should I consider in terms of battery and electric motor selection.

3.) Oklahoma can get cold in the winter so I'd really like to have a decent heater/defroster set up. What should I be aware of here?

I'll spend about $5K for the truck, so I'd like to spend no more than another $5K for the conversion.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Cheers,
David

Attachments

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
1.) Shorter range is OK with me (+ or - 50 miles or so), but I want this to be a true hot rod with plenty of punch. What should I be thinking about when I look for my truck in terms of transmissions, etc.
What you need for a transmission depends greatly on what you choose for a motor. For instance, essentially every builder using a Tesla motor uses it with the Tesla transaxle, so they don't use another transmission. In a vehicle with a live beam axle (such as every classic pickup), using the Tesla (or Leaf, or whatever) transaxle has huge implications for suspension and axle changes.

If you do want to be ready for the possibility of using the truck's original transmission (or something similar), choose a manual rather than an automatic, because automatics are not well suited to use with an electric motor. Since you want high performance, you would presumably want a strong transmission, but as long as the truck has a manual the transmission should be easily swapped for a stronger unit if necessary.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
1.) Shorter range is OK with me (+ or - 50 miles or so), but I want this to be a true hot rod with plenty of punch.
I'll spend about $5K for the truck, so I'd like to spend no more than another $5K for the conversion.
"true hot rod with plenty of punch", useful range, and a low conversion cost look like an incompatible combination to me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts