DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About ready to pull the trigger on 128 of these 60280's. https://batteryhookup.com/products/8x-new-sab-3-2v-55ah-176wh-60280-cells
It needs to run a 400 amp Curtis controller (1221b) on an old 96 volt dc Prestolite.
The things I keep pondering and searching for the elusive answers for is 1: pack configuration
2: charge options
32s should get the voltage.
4P will give 220 amps and at the rated 2c, 440amps. Is the rated current of a controller the max it will draw?
Have not seen any 32S BMSs. So is it better to do 8 - 4S4P blocks and connect in series? Or what is a preferred configuration?
Will these batteries even work for my application?
Who makes a good 96v charger. They seem hard to find. Can I use 2 - 48v chargers in series?
96v public charging will be a topic for another day.

·
Registered
807 Posts
400A on the controller is its peak. I haven't checked the specs, but likely continuous rating for it is under 200A.
For 32s you may need a distributed BMS. Zeva used to make an affordable one, I don't know with them going opensource if their products are currently available for purchase.
I would advise against trying to stack independent BMS'es.
For charging there is a 96v DeltaQ (like the one used for Zero motorcycles), which will work if programmed for Lithium.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
These look fantastic, I love LFP except for the low energy density, especially given cylindrical cells. But easy to build your pack and airflow for cooling.

32S you need a charger gets up to 110-112V, lots of components get pricey once your CV setpoint approaches 100V, if you can still get your desired top speed at say 25S that may help keep costs down.

Don't mess around with sub-packs in series, not BMS nor chargers, just increases points of failure, and annoying.

Put all your parallel connections first at the lowest 1S level, so 4P then do your serial connections - e. g. 4P32S

·
Registered
211 Posts
IF the SAB 60280 from BHU Have nuts on the terminals remove the nuts when you get the cells. I had a few that I couldn't remove you might need needle nose vise grips to hold on to the cell and an appropriate wrench or socket to remove the nuts. Out of 82 cells, I had 4 total that I gave up on, the 4 with stuck nuts, 2 were replaced by bHU and 2 others that were my fault.

later floyd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.