DIY Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
This thread has a comment which makes an interesting point: the Outlander rear motor is placed behind the axle line (like a Tesla Model S/X), not ahead of the axle line (like all of the EV designs adapted from conventional front wheel drive vehicles, and the i-MiEV). This is relevant to where the complete drive unit (motor plus transaxle) would fit and be usable without running it in reverse of the normal rotation.

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
An OpenInverter thread contains a post which lists the rear drive unit ratio as 7.065:1. Substituting that value for my rough guess of 6:1 in my earlier example:
If the motor is turning at 2900 RPM, and if the transaxle gear ratio is 7.065:1 then the axles would turn at 410 RPM or 24,628 revolutions per hour. With tires of the same overall diameter (25.4" or 645 mm) as the stock 1967 Beetle tires (165SR15 ), that corresponds to a road speed of 50 km/h (31 mph). So
  • At any speed from a standstill up to about 50 km/h the same torque would available, of about 1,378 Nm (1016 lb-ft) - just 195 Nm multiplied by the gear ratio of 7.065:1. That corresponds to 4272 newtons (960 lb), enough to initially accelerate a tonne (1000 kg or 2200 pounds) of converted Beetle and driver at 4.2 m/s2, which is pretty good.
  • From about 50 km/h up, a constant 60 kW would be available, which is more than a stock Beetle has at any speed even if the speed and gear combination puts the engine at its optimal power point.
  • The maximum motor speed of 9300 RPM would correspond to about 160 km/h, but the car might not be able to reach that speed with 60 kW.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi David,
I live in Newton abbot and have a whole outlander front transaxle (both motor/generators and the gearbox plus wiring) arriving on Monday. It was a bit of an impulse buy but it was cheap. I plan on getting it running with my gen3 Prius inverter with OpenInverter logic board over Christmas. Not sure how far you have progressed your project in the last 3 months but I can keep you informed with my progress and you are welcome to pop round once I have something running if you like? I will probably end up selling at least one motor once I'm done with it, I haven't actually got a car for it to go in myself, the cars are more for a friend of mine to sort out, he wants something for his mk1 mini and an Austin 10, I'm just interested/excited to do the electrical/electronic bit.
Regards,
Jacob

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in the same position. I have both motor and generator, and gearbox from the front.

I've torn down the one designated as motor here Mitsubishi Outlander Front Transaxle - openinverter.org wiki

Also attempting to run with a gen 3 prius inverter and open inverter logic board.

Myself and another open inverter member are trying this combination, me in a modern beetle and him in a BMW Z3.

We've discovered some ford clutch friction plates are a good match for the spline pattern.

We've not yet discovered good parameters to run FOC. I now think it has 4 pole pairs, not sure on the resolver pole pairs or a good syncofs.

It would be good to combine efforts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm in the same position. I have both motor and generator, and gearbox from the front.

I've torn down the one designated as motor here Mitsubishi Outlander Front Transaxle - openinverter.org wiki

Also attempting to run with a gen 3 prius inverter and open inverter logic board.

Myself and another open inverter member are trying this combination, me in a modern beetle and him in a BMW Z3.

We've discovered some ford clutch friction plates are a good match for the spline pattern.

We've not yet discovered good parameters to run FOC. I now think it has 4 pole pairs, not sure on the resolver pole pairs or a good syncofs.

It would be good to combine efforts.
Hi Yes, I have been lurking on the open inverter forum for quite some time reading about everyone's projects but haven't had the time to get involved until now (was doing an open Uni degree alongside work and doing up my house). I have bought myself a collection of parts as a 'starter kit' so I can experiment and contribute, got 2006 RX400H MGR with shafts and loom £200, 2014 prius inverter £120, outlander front gearbox with motors and loom £290 all delivered. Just working on adapting the design of the v1d logic board to fit my inverter now then will get some made and test out over Christmas. I have set up drives for pmsm at work in the past but only commercial stuff that all comes with instructions and datasheets, this is like trying to do a jigsaw without the picture!
Definitely up for combining efforts, you guys have quite a head start on me but I will try my best to catch up without being too much of a burden. Regarding motor pole count, is it possible to run it slowly in open loop and see how fast it turns for a given frequency? as for resolver I will can do some testing at work while I wait for logic boards to arive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Yes, I have been lurking on the open inverter forum for quite some time reading about everyone's projects but haven't had the time to get involved until now (was doing an open Uni degree alongside work and doing up my house). I have bought myself a collection of parts as a 'starter kit' so I can experiment and contribute, got 2006 RX400H MGR with shafts and loom £200, 2014 prius inverter £120, outlander front gearbox with motors and loom £290 all delivered. Just working on adapting the design of the v1d logic board to fit my inverter now then will get some made and test out over Christmas. I have set up drives for pmsm at work in the past but only commercial stuff that all comes with instructions and datasheets, this is like trying to do a jigsaw without the picture!
Definitely up for combining efforts, you guys have quite a head start on me but I will try my best to catch up without being too much of a burden. Regarding motor pole count, is it possible to run it slowly in open loop and see how fast it turns for a given frequency? as for resolver I will can do some testing at work while I wait for logic boards to arive.
I've put an led across 2 phases and turned the motor, and played it back slowly. Gives 4 blinks per rev, meaning 4 pole pairs, according to the YouTube video I took the idea from. You look to have got some decent deals there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's a good idea with the LED, just tried it out on a known motor and works great, so simple as well. Resolver obviously needs exciting to test properly, as I haven't got any logic boards yet I cant have a go just now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Apparently the 4 lobes on the shaft means it's likely a 4 pole pair resolver.

I'm going to try running through the FOC tuning video now the pole pairs question is answered, but I haven't got a battery pack at the moment, only rectified mains and the incandescent light bulb as a current limiter.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ah yes that answers that, I had had a quick look at the data/catalogue for that series sinlysun series of resolvers and seen the bit about the roto shape ( you have probably already seen it but attached here anyway) but couldn't see a picture of it on the motor wiki and haven't taken mine to pieces yet. Good luck trying it out, I'm looking forward to joining in with the experimentation as soon as I can.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts