DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving this discussion from the new user thread...
I got my hands on a 1975 Honda Civic CVCC WAGON!! It's not running and was headed for the junk yard when I bought it and had it delivered to my driveway. Mechanically, it turned out to be in a lot of trouble. The engine is seized, but I knew that. On top of that the brakes are all seized as well. It rolls freely, but the only way to stop it is to put it in gear and let the clutch stop it cold.
There's some rust, but as I strip it back there's less than I had feared. The floor pans need patching, but my battery solution might involve cutting out the floor anyway.
Right now the plan is to obtain a LEAF motor and use it direct to the drive train axles, so no transmission. I can get some A123 pack batteries for a very good price and they seem to fit the capacity I would need. The form factor would work to fit below the seats and in the gas tank area, if I drop the floor by 3 inches or so. I need to work that out engineering wise. For right now it's going to be a traditional restoration project until I get the electric drive system sourced and engineered.

I've started a YouTube channel to show the steps and progress. First video is just up.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDYeyGy2u6DbfipiEyAgNPw

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just put up the second video of my progress, Honda CVCC 2 EV Conversion Project gets going.... to the salvage yard. It's all going very well, but really just restoration so far. The exact plan for the conversion is still in flux. It's one thing I love about this project is that I am learning as I go and the ideas for how to do it get better as I go. Ideas keep evolving in my head. I'm still thinking that it should be a LEAF motor, though I haven't sourced one yet. So, I'm not committed to it. The batteries are also not set. I am looking at the A-123 pouch modules, 92v at ~60ah each. With 4 of those, I calculate about 22 Kwh, which should give a +/- 2000lbs. car decent range. And a total of +/-360 volts, should give the LEAF motor enough juice to run well. Those modules are very affordable too. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts