DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Couple real quick questions!

I have an 800V pack that I'm trying to charge. Right now I don't have any charger picked out except one from a European company (with a lead time of 1 month). Was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for chargers? Particularly ones that had small lead times?

Also: If it's 192 Lithium cells (4.2V max) would I still need an 800V charger? or would a 900V charger be necessary? Forgive my ignorance but I'm coming from a world of mostly lead acid battery use.

Thanks all :)

(P.S: we are using an Orion BMS 2, so something CANbus would be optimal, but analog control would also be suitable)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I presume that the European company you are referring to is EDN Group, which is the only company I am aware of that sells an 800V automotive charger. If anyone knows of another, I would like to know! There are very few options.

As far as charging voltage is concerned, what we do with our 800V systems, which are also 192 cells in series, is that we charge just to 800V. This gives you 4.17V per cell. This has a couple of benefits--first, many of the components do have 800V limits, so you will have an even harder time finding components that allow the few extra volts. But also, it helps a lot with cycle life to not go all the way up to the cell limits. So by sacrificing a small amount of capacity you prolong the life of your cells. Thus said, if you are getting an EDN charger, their charger limit is 840V, not 800. So you could fill it all the way up to the brim if you wanted to. But make sure that your inverter and DCDC and other components can handle it. Although the engineering margins make it likely that they won't actually be destroyed, they may have software limits that cause a fault if you go any amount above 800.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Voltron has a fully charged voltage of 700 V DC, so I split the pack into two halves and charge them from two chargers. Works great.

·
Registered
934 Posts
You can get an 800V charger from Brusa, costs quite a lot though.

The charger is gone off their website but they should still have some available if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I read that.

It would mean that you can only charge where there is 3-phase power. Phase-neutral charging (240 V AC single phase) would be impossible. Go hard or go nowhere...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I read that.

It would mean that you can only charge where there is 3-phase power. Phase-neutral charging (240 V AC single phase) would be impossible. Go hard or go nowhere...
What's more, per the datasheet it requires 460VAC line-line voltage minimum so you could also not charge with 208/120 3 phase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts