DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a busted 8 kVa diesel generator and would like to try to use the Alternator as a motor for an EV project. The diesel engine broke.
Being quite new the EV conversion, I've read around the forum and watched a bunch of videos.

Attached is a picture the alternator ID plate.
it's a 3 phase setup for single phase generation, if that matters.

Would it be usable / make sense as an EV motor, or more trouble than it's worth?
Looking at the rating, what kind of weight/size vehicle would it be able to power?
What sort of controller would this require.

My first project would be to convert my little tractor to an EV. I am suspecting that this motor may be a bit large for that purpose. example tractor pic

I'm no electrical/electronics wizard but I've built my own 10Kw off grid solar system and know my way around MCUs and a soldering iron.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Attached is a picture the alternator ID plate.
it's a 3 phase setup for single phase generation, if that matters.

Would it be usable / make sense as an EV motor, or more trouble than it's worth?
Hi,

Not sure what you mean by setup for single phase, but forget about using a single phase motor for EV propulsion. 3 phase, you'd have a chance. You need a controller (inverter) for it. It's rare to find an inverter to run a wound field synchronous machine. You could supply the field excitation ~24V, 1.5A DC and install rotor position sensors and possibly hack a BLDC or PMSM controller.

Your kW power rating will be ~80% of the kVA on the nameplate at the 50/60 Hz RPM. It may do the trick in the tractor. Pushing for more power for an EVcar means higher frequency and RPM which may create more problems due to the fact that it wasn't designed for higher speed.

Unless you're married to an EE willing to spend a lot of time on the controller, look for another motor.

Regards,

major

1 - 3 of 3 Posts