DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time forum lurker, and first time poster, I am looking for advice for rebuilding/recommissioning my series wound forklift motor.

I believe the motor is from a Caterpillar F40D (part no.9R5430) and is 9.25"ø weighing approx 70kg. I have begun disassembly (see photos) and am now looking to tidy it up. I plan on:

-General clean and de-grease
-Paint motor body
-Tidy up brush holders (sand paper, emery cloth etc)
-Tidy terminals
-Remove slight oxidisation on commutation bars with steel wool
-New brushes
-Advance brushes 8°
-Add grill on brush air vent

I think the bearings have been replaced previously, and they feel excellent so will leave them be. I have read about re-varnishing the field coils and improving the insulation of connecting field bars (eg PTFE tape or conformal coating) - should I do this or anything else?

I will be using the motor with passive cooling at 120V 500A peak.

Also, attached is an image of the splined shaft on DE. Ideally I would like to use this for my coupling, but do not have the female spline from the forklift. It has 24 teeth and measures 1.25" or 31.8mm external diameter. Would anyone know if this is a standard spline I could buy the female spline to make a coupling with?

As for the new brushes, does anyone have any recommendations for suitable harder compound brushes available in the UK?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
For couplers, most big cities have at least one transmission/driveshaft shop that has everything you can imagine. If your first guess is wrong, ask them who you should call.

Give them the precise measurements and they'll flip through their inventory and see what's available.

Option 2 is to try tractor supply places. Generally larger stuff.

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
Re - female splines

My motor (s) have a brake drum on the front of the motor - used as a handbrake I believe in the forklift

That has a nice internal spline to match the external spline and four studs for the brake drum
It's very easy to modify to adapt to a driveshaft

It may be worth contacting forklift repair shops and trying to get one

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. I have taken a gamble on a splined driveshaft coupling online (£9) that measures correctly as far as I can tell. I will report back once it arrives.

I think both of you are right - for the coupling I will be best taking it to someone knowledgeable with lots of parts to hand. There are plenty of agricultural companies near me that would be worth giving a go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am in a similar situation. I plan on having the splines machined and a yoke/coupling of some sort with a bearing added. Figured I’d have the same shop turn and clean up everything else as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
TLDR: Land Rover flange fits Caterpillar motor

Great news! The drive flange I bought fits! It is a drive flange used on many Land Rover cars (Defender, Disco, Range) and so there are loads of varieties with the same spline meaning many options for a starting point to machine my coupling.

The fit is clearly not a coincidence, and must follow a common spline standard. The spline profiles mesh well and there is only very small amount of backlash, as you would expect for compatible splines.

This is the exact flange I have tested, although a quick search has brought up at least 5 similar components with the same spline:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-Spline-Drive-Flange-for-Land-Rover-Defender-FTC859R-RUC105200-Bearmach/232625320648?epid=1642542757&hash=item36298cb2c8:g:bY0AAOSwjytaVSR4

This is very useful for me and I am sure could be useful information for other DIYers.

Re: skweeks_n_leeks

Taking it to a machine shop sounds like a good idea. A bearing support would be particularly valuable if the gearbox (?) you are going using requires end support. Edit: I have just read your thread "Motor A or B?". Looks like a good motor.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts