·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The motor: ADC 8'"

The controller: Raptor 1200

The charger: Manzanita pfc20

The batteries: 45 Tornado 100ah cells.

BMS: Cell log 8. I have been reading up on this, and like what I see. I will top balance the pack initially, and view it from time to time, but I do intend to use the high and low voltage signals ro protect my cells.

Update: I ended up installing an Orion BMS

The instrumentation: Looking for ideas. I have a dead Xantrex in there right now, so basically I have nothing. I am looking for ideas for simple cost effective display.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, these look like a good deal. I just came across some controversial discussion on this vs the evdisplay, so it just got more complicated for me. From what I understand, the evdisplay is made by an open source guy on this forum, which boosts his credibility in my opinion. Now I have to track this down and see who I want to do business with as well. Any comments on this are welcome.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
The motor: ADC 8'"

The controller: Raptor 1200

The charger: Manzanita pfc20

The batteries: 45 Tornado 100ah cells.

BMS: Cell log 8. I have been reading up on this, and like what I see. I will top balance the pack initially, and view it from time to time, but I do intend to use the high and low voltage signals ro protect my cells.

The instrumentation: Looking for ideas. I have a dead Xantrex in there right now, so basically I have nothing. I am looking for ideas for simple cost effective display.
raptor 1200 in a metro? you still have a transmission?!? ;)

I have used the CycleAnalyst, which is very affordable shunt technology solution... The early one I bought was not build for HV so I have some problems with it floating past zero when charging, and it is less accurate when temp changes. The newer ones are better I think. I have a large display dash mount format one in the Miata which seems to be more stable.

I also have an evDisplay which is Hall technology was affordable for next conversion but have not used it yet.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like jacks includes a shunt. The one for 68 does not say if it has a shunt. This car is equipped with a shunt with leads going to the inop xantrex. I do not know much about shunts yet, and I can not see any markings on the one I have. Is there a way to determine if this one will be appropriate? It is big and heavy and has a brown composite board and was used with 20 6 volt trojans.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Do you have a picture of it? Most American shunts are 50mv and not compatible with most Chinese meters which need 75mv shunts.

You need one sized for at least your average current, but don't get one under 200A as they're kinda flimsy. http://www.lightobject.com/Search.aspx?k=shunt

Also, note, the JLD404 is $65 here. What you're looking at for $68 is not the right meter.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked everywhere. This thing was converted in 1999, and I have no idea when it went in. I can tell you that it is heavy though. Is there a good way to test it to see if it is any good? (I am not sure if they go bad) Just wondering if this could be what is wrong with the xantrex. The display is blank and dead, 12v were present on the back of the display.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
It's probably still good, but the only way to know for sure it's characteristics would be to apply a known current and measure the voltage drop. You'd have to be able to measure a 50mv drop under a 500A load to confirm my guess.

The shunt would only affect the reading on the Xantrex, not its display. If an LCD goes blank it's not getting power (bad fuse?) or part of the circuit is fried.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
It looks like jacks includes a shunt. The one for 68 does not say if it has a shunt. This car is equipped with a shunt with leads going to the inop xantrex. I do not know much about shunts yet, and I can not see any markings on the one I have. Is there a way to determine if this one will be appropriate? It is big and heavy and has a brown composite board and was used with 20 6 volt trojans.
if you already have a shunt, it will probably be ok as they are sized to max amps you expect to put thru producing a 'typical' voltage for the meter. likke a 500a-50mV is pretty typical. Going from memory, I think both the evDisplay and CycleAnalyst expect 0-50mV output to the meter.... not sure if they can handle 0-75mV....

the cycle analysts I know require that the shunt is on the NEGATIVE leg of the traction pack, I dunno about the other ones.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Unless you're converting an Escalade, Hummer, or other inefficient monstrosity you don't need a shunt over 500A.

Like cable, they're sized for continuous/average current. A shunt shouldn't need to be the size of your hand.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
1 - 20 of 91 Posts