DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of an EV conversion involving the GM W body platform ? I've got a '98 Grand Prix that just rolled over 200k miles, and I've been wondering if it would be suitable for a conversion.

I've been researching Saturns and Fieros for several years, but using my own car as a donor vehicle would save me a little money since I know the car's history and could probably sell various parts from the ICE as part of the effort.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've seen a lot of folks take the 3800 out of a Grand Prix and put it in a Fiero, but not Grand Prix electric conversions.

It is a rather heavy car to do a conversion with, about 3600 pounds... Generally the lighter the better.

Do you have a slush box or STD? Is a manual even available for the Grand Prix? Maybe the GPX? For the easiest conversion it would be best to start with a car that either already has a manual or you can get one made for that car cheaply.

Good luck.

Is anyone aware of an EV conversion involving the GM W body platform ? I've got a '98 Grand Prix that just rolled over 200k miles, and I've been wondering if it would be suitable for a conversion.

I've been researching Saturns and Fieros for several years, but using my own car as a donor vehicle would save me a little money since I know the car's history and could probably sell various parts from the ICE as part of the effort.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an automatic.....I don't know if they made a version with a manual transmission or not.

Your points about the weight are valid. I've been looking into converting a Fiero or a Saturn for about 10 years, but it seems like everytime I get ready to move forward, something comes up that requires either my time, or the $ I set aside for the project.

The Grand Prix wouldn't be my first choice, but since I already have the car, I've been mulling over whether it would be worth it or not.....I don't really want to tackle something like this that would end up being a project car, because I have one of those already......

I'd really like to convert something I can use for commuting everyday (at least 50 miles round trip) on a single charge, and also have plug in capability.

I've recently started looking into S-10 trucks, because they seem to be plentiful. I had my eyes on a Fiero GT at a local boneyard awhile back, but they never got back to me with a price for the whole thing....it still had a usable engine and drivetrain, and was a manual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts