DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Would you be interested in a product like this? Or Do you find it useful?

• Yes, I'd definitely be interested and/or find it useful!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No thanks

Votes: 1 50.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I hope y’all (yes I’m from Texas) are all staying safe from the Coronavirus.

I’ve recently been doing some thinking while under quarantine. In proper EV conversions, the HV connections really aren’t that complicated, but rather the 12V side of things is what really makes the complexity. This can get especially difficult if you’re adding AC, heat, power steering, power brakes, etc.

While on the phone recently with a customer in Florida, he’s been struggling to understand all of the 12V wiring and signal wiring, especially when using the Orion BMS. While that’s a wonderful unit and very safe, there’s a lot of inputs and outputs that get overwhelming to some people, but nonetheless lots of helpful features.

I’ve set out to build a way that simplifies all of that wiring, which is the most complex wiring of the car. Controlling your cooling fan, and adding the necessary parts the Orion BMS needs to have variable control over the fan, relays for power steering, powered brakes, etc. I plan to build controls for an electric AC compressor, so that it handles the signaling to start the compressor, and all necessary precharge resistors and precharge relays. Simply plug and play. In my personal EV, I built a heater that consists of a fluid reservoir and a 3kW heating element. Inside the tank there’s a fluid float sensor to protect the heating element, and a temp sensor. I want to build all of the controls for this device inside this main system.

The goal is to simplify all of the relays and connections of the 12V system. You can order this box, and select which features you want to have in it. If you want AC in your conversion, you can select that when building your unit, and then there’s the matching compressor to go with it (that’s 1/2 the price of the MasterFlux compressors). Simply plug and play.

I want to take all of this knowledge of integrating systems that I’ve learned over the years, which is by far the hardest part of a conversion, and build a single Systems Control Module (SCM) that will control all of the systems in the car. You can simply use what you need on your build, and ignore what you don’t need. Select the options you want to have, save cost if you don’t need them. I want it to be simple to understand, no programming required, and a product that just WORKS. It would also have some other features like controlling the water pump at BOTH times, when discharging AND charging.

What do y’all think? I know some people out there wouldn’t need something like this, but even for me personally, it makes a lot of my wiring easier and centralized. It would have contactors and high power relays built in, so it wouldn’t be cheap by any means. But I would try to shoot for $500 price point if possible.

Would anyone be interested in a product like this? I wouldn’t make it to sell at a stupid expensive price, that’s not what I’m about. I want to make EV conversions simpler for people, and make it so anyone can do it with common hand tools. If I can make a product that helps my builds, helps others in their builds, make a little money off of it to put toward my tuition, then I’m happy.

Please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback. Or if you want to privately message me you can at [email protected]

Again, any and all constructive feedback is appreciated. I have gotten some good feedback on this idea so far, but I wanted to get y'alls thoughts on it. I will definitely be making this product for my company builds as it makes the process much easier, but I just have to decide if I want to make this a product I produce for others. Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It sounds like an interesting product - but it's a very broad target you're trying to hit from my perspective...

All sorts of cars in all different sizes, styles etc. are converted - and a lot of things are done in different ways though different years/manufacturers etc. If power brakes, steering etc. are controlled by the car's normal control units - often it is better to spoof signals running to the existing hardware than to replace it completely with a custom solution.

I can see the utility in a central box that controls much of the car's auxiliary things - but a lot of functionality that is going to be wildly different from user to user. Without selling the concept very clearly to people in their build planning phases, you may not get much interest...

I'd love something like it - but I realise that for the car I'm converting, much of the systems already have control from the car's existing control units - so all I need is switching for the cabin heat (no A/C, I live in the UK and it's a convertible, so not a necessity, and I'm using a PTC heater so it doesn't need temperature control) and control for the motor/inverter cooling loop and battery air cooling fans. I'm going to use the Orion BMS, and the inverter I'm using has a fan control line anyway - so the latter functions need not be centrally managed.

Regardless of my criticisms - it does sound like an interesting project, and I wish you all the best in your work on it. I'm also using the quarantines as an excuse to work on the project (though from an individual angle, rather than as a design project for sale...).

Stay safe & well,
Nick

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nick,

Thanks so much for the feedback! Those are all very good points. I think the target market would be people converting classic cars or mostly older cars where it would be too hard to spoof that kind of things for systems like power steering. But nonetheless, your feedback is much appreciated.

In regard to your project, have you ordered an Orion BMS unit yet? I am a dealer and my costs are a bit cheaper than other dealers out there, so might help you save some money on your project!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Honetly I didn't read your whole post but I believe most of what you're proposing is handled by the beautifully compact Motec PDM30? It is filled with solid state relays and circuit breakers with CAN control and IFTTT logic.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honetly I didn't read your whole post but I believe most of what you're proposing is handled by the beautifully compact Motec PDM30? It is filled with solid state relays and circuit breakers with CAN control and IFTTT logic.

Thanks for your feedback, but please go back read my entire post first. None of my features are the same as that item. My product idea would be a simple plug and play system that would manage inputs and outputs of the orion bms and hyper 9 systems, which the past 2 years, have been the biggest motor/controller/bms combo on the market. I am targeting those products for simple use, and not trying to create a CAN device that works with everything and complicated to setup. It needs to be a simple plug in play that would be coherent with 80% of the conversion market (netgain and HPEVS) motors and controllers.

Thank you for your feedback though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts