DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I am very excited to have joined this community! I am a 2nd year Mechanical Engineering student. This year I am starting a project that is aimed at building an electric vehicle. I have always shared the passion for this subject, but never actually went far enough as to learn all of its technicalities.

I am here to tell you that I have started a blog, in which I will be sharing my journey of learning about electric vehicles and how to build them. Since I am very new to this field, I thought I could start a blog, which would help me share what I have learned and create a small platform for people to correct me or give any type of feedback!

If you are interested, you are more than welcome to visit my blog. Feel free to comment on my mistakes or tell any suggestions that you have. In fact, I would very much appreciate any constructive criticism.

Thank you!!
https://eproject2017.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
You are starting from a low base, knowlege and experience, but you are smart and young so you will learn quickly.
As others have said, start small to learn the basic principles with minimal cost outlay before you comitt to a large project.
If you want something very relavent technically and socially, i would strongly suggest you build an Ebike ..convert a bycicle to electric power assist.
You can learn and experiment at minimal cost , as well as have a very usefull form of transport arounf the city.
All the elements of an EV are there , modern motor design, direct drive hub motors, complex multi phase motors (6 phase on some !) and controls, absolute latest battery technology developments, battery building, battery management systems, charger technology, gearing effects, etc etc.
Believe me, some of the smartest minds in the EV world were nurtured on EBikes.
Another valuable learning resource for you would be the Endless Sphere site forums.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php
PS: have you considered a combined Mechanical Electrical degree ?
Which uni are you at ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are starting from a low base, knowlege and experience, but you are smart and young so you will learn quickly.
As others have said, start small to learn the basic principles with minimal cost outlay before you comitt to a large project.
If you want something very relavent technically and socially, i would strongly suggest you build an Ebike ..convert a bycicle to electric power assist.
You can learn and experiment at minimal cost , as well as have a very usefull form of transport arounf the city.
All the elements of an EV are there , modern motor design, direct drive hub motors, complex multi phase motors (6 phase on some !) and controls, absolute latest battery technology developments, battery building, battery management systems, charger technology, gearing effects, etc etc.
Believe me, some of the smartest minds in the EV world were nurtured on EBikes.
Another valuable learning resource for you would be the Endless Sphere site forums.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php
PS: have you considered a combined Mechanical Electrical degree ?
Which uni are you at ?
Thank you for your advice! I have not considered it before and actually don't think my university offers such degree. My uni is UCL in London.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey,

Have you checked if your university is participating in the SAE competition. SAE is an international motorsport competition between many universities. They are making the transition from ICE to electric. I am becoming a mentor for the race team in one of my local universities.

Even if you choose not to adopt their project instead of your own it would be useful for you to be around people doing similar things.

Good luck with your project

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
The SAE competitions - which would be Formula Student in the United Kingdom - are great opportunities to learn. I assume that UCL is University College London; they have had a Formula Student team but unfortunately, it looks like the UCL team withdrew from the 2017 event, and hasn't run for a few years.

Formula SAE / Student (name depends on location) normally uses gas engines, but there is an electric category. I don't know if UCL ran electric, but it doesn't look like it. Maybe you can get a new team going?

·
Registered
536 Posts
The SAE competitions - which would be Formula Student in the United Kingdom - are great opportunities to learn. I assume that UCL is University College London; they have had a Formula Student team but unfortunately, it looks like the UCL team withdrew from the 2017 event, and hasn't run for a few years.

Formula SAE / Student (name depends on location) normally uses gas engines, but there is an electric category. I don't know if UCL ran electric, but it doesn't look like it. Maybe you can get a new team going?
The team I am mentoring have informed me that the competition is tending towards the electric as an optional transition. Eventually the whole competition will be electric.
I know of team struggling with the transition as a result they too have not competed for a number of years. But it is not because the team has folded or isn't trying to get there. If it were easy there wouldn't be a point to it.

In other words I still think it is worth reaching out to your local team, they might be on the brink of success and just have nothing public at the moment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yes! We are currently thinking of joining some kind of competition that runs electric vehicles. So we are at the stage of researching different competitions. I am definitely going to look into SAE. Do you know about any other competitions? Would love to hear more from you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The team I am mentoring have informed me that the competition is tending towards the electric as an optional transition. Eventually the whole competition will be electric.
I know of team struggling with the transition as a result they too have not competed for a number of years. But it is not because the team has folded or isn't trying to get there. If it were easy there wouldn't be a point to it.

In other words I still think it is worth reaching out to your local team, they might be on the brink of success and just have nothing public at the moment.
That sounds good. I will definitely speak to my university team to see what's up.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Yes! We are currently thinking of joining some kind of competition that runs electric vehicles. So we are at the stage of researching different competitions. I am definitely going to look into SAE.
Good to hear :)

Do you know about any other competitions? Would love to hear more from you.
Unfortunately, although I have been aware of the SAE competitions (they have multiple series for different vehicle types) for many years, I'm not up on EV competitions. Also, SAE is worldwide but others likely are not, and I'm in Canada... so I can find information about institutions and events in Europe, but I don't know much about them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts