DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
It's no direct help to me because I have a splined motor shaft. But I thought it may be of interest to some of you.
ga2500ev
Why do you think so? You can remove the armature and have the shaft turned on a lathe and keyed to fit a taper lock bushing. That is what I did. I had splines on both the drive and aux shaft ends..turned and keyed them both.

Cheers.

Gary

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Looks clean. What holds the spline center from turning? Also, is the length such that it has no where to slide? ...as in takes up all distance from motor to tranny?

Cheers.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I cant take the credit, I copied off of Kiwi...

All of the points were ground off of the outside of the spline except one, which entered the keyway. One side of the coupler had to be opened up to almost 1.5 in in a lathe, just a bit smaller than the spline, then it was pressed in and welded, and cleaned up. I paid for about an hour of machine time, $72 if I remember right.

There is about 3/8 of an inch before the input shaft would contact the motor shaft. The coupler is keyed and set screwed ( with locktite ) to the motor shaft, the spline side is a slip fit. It's going on year #2

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Sure does look nice though. Mmmmmmm.....billet....

I'm actually thinking of cutting off the end of the saturn engine's crank shaft and drilling it out to make my coupler. I'd like to keep the clutch in my car even though it can be driven clutchless fairly easily.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sure does look nice though. Mmmmmmm.....billet....

I'm actually thinking of cutting off the end of the saturn engine's crank shaft and drilling it out to make my coupler. I'd like to keep the clutch in my car even though it can be driven clutchless fairly easily.

Thats what I did and it has worked great, just make sure you tell the machinest what you are doing and that you need a very tight fit (you don't want any imbalance). He may want to measure your motor shaft to make sure it works right

1 - 11 of 11 Posts