DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this motor is labelled Meiden 13.1 KW
has anyone heard of these or have any experience or advice to offer on it?
the good old question “is it a good one”

p.s. it is on advice I started a new thread as the other “is it a good one” thread is mainly about brushed DC motors.
Photograph White Light Wood Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Didn't you already start a thread on this or was there a ripple in the time/space continuum where I already gave you an answer in the future?

Posting more threads doesn't get more answers, it's annoying and fragments info for people in the future wanting to read about a topic like these motors.

Please go back to your other thread for the discussion.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I normally no longer respond to remy's nonsense, but this is just too ridiculous to leave unanswered:
Didn't you already start a thread on this or was there a ripple in the time/space continuum where I already gave you an answer in the future?

Posting more threads doesn't get more answers, it's annoying and fragments info for people in the future wanting to read about a topic like these motors.

Please go back to your other thread for the discussion.
Rojerrojer did not start another thread, and given that he/she has only two posts that would have been absolutely trivial to check.

The other thread is the forklift motor thread, which is all about completely different motors than this. I suggested this new thread. It does not fragment anything, because it is about a completely different topic from the other thread.

This is the "answer" provided in the other thread:
Run both of those on a belt drive and you'll be good. Need an inverter vs a DC speed controller to run them, as has been noted. One inverter can do both if they run to a common pulley.
There... now everything relevant to this motor (and not to brushed DC series-wound motors) is in this one place. It was faster and easier for me to copy it here than it was for remy_martian to write his whine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha thank you Brian. I do appreciate you taking the time to port that reply. It was on advice that I started the new thread. after remy,s reply, I was not feeling particularly welcome here. We all have bad days and get grumpy I guess. Sorry if I offended anyone.

·
Super Moderator
1,513 Posts
I'm using an AC forklift motor for one of my builds.

As to this particular motor, I have no advice.

Generally, I would think that AC motors would be even more bulletproof that DC motors, since you don't have to worry about the whole brush and commutator end of things, which is not only exposed to the elements, but relatively fragile with lots of things that could corrode or go wrong.

AC induction motors are about as simple and robust as it comes, so, picking a motor blindly is probably a safe bet. Depends on how active the scrapper culture is in your country. In most modern developed countries, we throw all kinds of things away that work perfectly fine, just because no one wants to put the effort into salvaging them, or, because they don't want the liability. In Canada I would say, blindly, a random AC motor has a 98% chance of being perfectly fine. In Cuba, I'd say if no one else wanted it, it's certainly trashed beyond repair and that's the reason you had the opportunity to salvage it.

The encoder might be damaged. The bearings might be rusted (cheap and easy to repair). I guess the shaft might be bent? Not likely.

As to how big it is, depends on what you're trying to move and how fast. I think my motor weighs 255 lbs, and I'd say it's inappropriately too big for my vehicle (the original 1.9L engine with all the stuff on it only weighed 200lbs)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Matts… thank you for your comprehensive reply. I appreciate the time and effort you took.
what controller have you used for your motor? Have you used the original controller or an aftermarket one?.
i am converting a t3 VW bus. So about 2500lbs of rolling thunder haha. Going to use it as a short hop town run around so don’t need speed or big range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts