DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see these motors listed on Ebay fairly often. Has anyone used this particular motor in a conversion? What controller was used? DMOC445?

Does anyone have any other information on this motor? I wouldn't mind seeing a torque and hp (kW) curve vs RPM.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
This question seems to pop up all the time, when new to EV's I asked the same thing about this motor. Unfortunately there is a reason these haven't been sold, they have a weird gear on the shaft that was made to connect directly to the special differential of the Ford EV Ranger and they need a specific, unavailable, controller. Other than that....... ;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Joe, there are a few of these motors out there being used. I did a quick search on the EVAlbum for 'Ford Siemens' and came up with this one.

I've also heard of one or two others using it, so it can be done. The big problem is finding a controller for it. AC motors have to be paired with a specific controller (unlike DC motors), and the ones for this motor are next to impossible to find.

Depending on what size car you're building, you can find used AC55s on Ebay (I got mine there for $800) and then have it rebuilt by Azure Dynamics for another $800. The AC55 is a big motor though so you wouldn't want it unless you've got a decent-sized car (i.e. >3000lbs).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Sailfish, I have noticed a couple of AC55's on ebay for about 1500 US.

Has anyone tried pairing another motor with Azures DMOC445 that is in between the AC24 and AC55 for torque? I am thinking something that offers 60-75 kW and about 150Nm peak. I just feel like there should be a motor in between these two. The AC55 is 60 kW but offers over 280Nm of torque meanwhile the AC24 is 30kW peak with about 85 Nm.

Also, who has use the AC55 in direct drive applications?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Has anyone tried pairing another motor with Azures DMOC445 that is in between the AC24 and AC55 for torque? I am thinking something that offers 60-75 kW and about 150Nm peak. I just feel like there should be a motor in between these two.
I agree that there should be something inbetween. I think the AC24 was optimized for spam cans like Geo Metros. My SAAB only has a 69hp V4 engine but I'm not sure the AC24 can get close to even matching that, at least not without coming close to maxing out the voltage on the controller. But if I went with the used AC55 I'd wind up with an overweight motor that will just strain the suspension and take more battery overhead to haul around.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Thanks Sailfish, I have noticed a couple of AC55's on ebay for about 1500 US.
Their starting bids are around $800 -- I got lucky on mine and no one bid against me. My guess is you could do the same. They come from a bunch of electric buses (each bus used two AC55s) and the guy has been trying to sell them for months. I think he's only sold two or three, so chances are you'd be the only one bidding.

Has anyone tried pairing another motor with Azures DMOC445 that is in between the AC24 and AC55 for torque? I am thinking something that offers 60-75 kW and about 150Nm peak. I just feel like there should be a motor in between these two. The AC55 is 60 kW but offers over 280Nm of torque meanwhile the AC24 is 30kW peak with about 85 Nm.
I agree that AD should come up with another model motor between the 24 and the 55. They bought the license for these motors from Solectria and so far have not done anything other than just sell those two motors. Maybe they'll design one themselves soon. As I said earlier though, you wouldn't be able to use the DMOC445 with any other motor (unless you really know what you're doing) because they are all designed for specific motor/controller pairs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree that AD should come up with another model motor between the 24 and the 55. They bought the license for these motors from Solectria and so far have not done anything other than just sell those two motors. Maybe they'll design one themselves soon. As I said earlier though, you wouldn't be able to use the DMOC445 with any other motor (unless you really know what you're doing) because they are all designed for specific motor/controller pairs.

I thought the DMOC445 was reprogrammable. So it's really a firmware issue. Obviously that's easier said than done. But if someone knew how to hack it to work with the Siemens motor and offered a special adapter for the shaft they'd probably have a little niche there. Seems like something should be done to leverage these leftover motors.

In the meantime, I'd love to hear stories of people using AC55s with light (2000 pound) vehicles to see if they make them too unwieldy or not.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I thought the DMOC445 was reprogrammable. So it's really a firmware issue.
It is to the extent that AD can program it to work with either the 24 or the 55. I don't know if it would work with other brands. Maybe. That's why I said 'unless you really know what you're doing.' :D
In the meantime, I'd love to hear stories of people using AC55s with light (2000 pound) vehicles to see if they make them too unwieldy or not.
Me too.

·
Registered
8,129 Posts
I thought the DMOC445 was reprogrammable. So it's really a firmware issue. Obviously that's easier said than done. But if someone knew how to hack it to work with the Siemens motor and offered a special adapter for the shaft they'd probably have a little niche there. Seems like something should be done to leverage these leftover motors.
I think you'd also have to do something about the lubrication since I think it's designed to use the lube from the Ford ranger Differential.
It's a 230lb motor, probably lighter than any ICE, certainly less than an ICE plus transmission which you could probably eliminate in a light vehicle with an AC55. Why do you think it would make anything unwieldy?

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's a 230lb motor, probably lighter than any ICE, certainly less than an ICE plus transmission which you could probably eliminate in a light vehicle with an AC55. Why do you think it would make anything unwieldy?
In my SAAB the V4 engine lighter than the AC55. I was intending to keep the transmission although the regen might be a little hard on the gears. A car fully loaded with batteries puts a lot of strain on the suspension which is why so many people go with light trucks like the S-10. So I'm a little worried about that and the handling if it gets weighted down too much. If the weight isn't really contributing in some vital way to moving the vehicle, it's a liability.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thats me with the passat using the ford siemens motor =)

The lotus guy was the one who told me about the lubrication issue on the Ford motor. The motor actually has oil flowing though the inside where the coils of wire are.

I have my prototype controller working from a 15 amp outlet, and hope to have enough batteries bought to run the controller at full current & voltage by the end of january =)

Heres a webpage with info on my conversion
http://etischer.com/awdev/

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
1. Did you try to get a pre-made controller for it?
I have, and am still trying. Nobody wants to sell a controller without the motor. In the industrial world, you can hook up any AC motor to any AC inverter, you just need to perform an auto tune. I suppose the research into adding this feature to an EV inverter doesn't have the payoff that the industrial world has.

I talked with evisol, they just told me it would be cost prohibitive for them to profile the motor. They suggested I get 5 people to split the cost. They have profiles for other siemens motors and even state on their website they support the PV5133 range of siemens motors which is what the ford motor is. The controller is not yet released, and cost is about $10k. There are a few industrial solutions out there, but they are also around $10k.

2. Do you think the oil flow was part of the cooling system and will that be a problem for you?

The ford bearings were oil cooled. The sealed bearings I am using are thermally rated for steady state speed of 17k rpm. I have to assume they will not over heat. The motor is water cooled.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.