DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellows
Well, here i'm again with a question to you guys, ev conversion enthusiast. Someone offer me a used Kit AC50 96v. It has been used for a couple of years and know the owner jumps to an AC51 144v, so it's selling this AC50 kit in a good price. I don't know much about the AC systems, i own an ev build by me with a DC system and i think this might be a good moment to upgrade my car to an AC system.
What should I worry about this kit?
Do i have to perform some kind maintanence?

Hope you can help me with this.

Thanks

·
Registered
746 Posts
Bearings, of course, in particular when an inverter drives a "standard" true sine motor (without special high frequency leak proof bearings), no filter on on the inverter output.
AC motors are basically scrap when the insulation on the transformer sheet iron degrades; wear on the insulation of the wires (high dV/dt, inverter drive) can be solved by rewiring the harness.
As with most electrical components, wear and degradation occurs sooner when the component is more frequently pushed to its limits or beyond (amps, voltage, dV/dt, temperature etc.).

Electrical components in commercial products are designed to comply with a stochastical lifespan (distribution profile) for economical use.
For a car that's usually about 8 to 10 years with a very low fail percentage in the warranty period.
The AC motor is not the most challenging part of an EV in this respect.:)

I think the recent fast charging issue with the new 2018 Nissan Leaf is a good example of the real design challenges in an EV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts