DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to start converting a Fiero GT to electric and I'm looking for people that have done a conversion like this to help me choose a good motor. I want a performance car and can't decide if I want to use a big 11 inch DC motor with the brushes advanced or a hpevs AC50 motor mounted to the stock manual transmission. I will be building a ac or dc Paul and Sabrina controller to use with this car. Any motor suggestions ?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm going to start a conversion to a Fiero GT and I'm looking for people that have done a conversion like this to help me choose a good motor. I want a performance car and can't decide if I want to use a big 11 inch DC motor with the brushed advanced or a hpevs AC50 motor mounted to the stock manual transmission. I will be building a ac or dc Paul and Sabrina controller to use with this car. Any motor suggestions ?
I am running a Kostov 11 in my MG Midget. With no transmission, it will light up the tires and billow huge clouds of smoke on a warm day. I am also using the P&S controller. Building my entire car, including redoing the interior, batteries, motor, controller, etc. cost about as much as just the AC50 kits. In my opinion, the AC50 and the rest of the AC EV conversion motors are weak and overpriced. I'm seeing $2,000-$4,000 for various offerings with the AC50. The AC50 is only good for 70ish horsepower according to what I'm finding. There are really good OEM motors out there that can be had for a fraction of the price with much greater performance if you want AC. I'm using a Leaf motor in my current build. They're not plug and play like the AC50 is, but the performance is worth the extra effort if you're on any real budget.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I'm going to start a conversion to a Fiero GT and I'm looking for people that have done a conversion like this to help me choose a good motor. I want a performance car and can't decide if I want to use a big 11 inch DC motor with the brushes advanced or a hpevs AC50 motor mounted to the stock manual transmission.
As jbman suggested, an AC-50 seems inadequate for a "performance car" of the weight of a converted Fiero. Someone used an AC-50 for a conversion and later tried to sell the car, leading to a Jalopnik article. I haven't seen the video, but apparently the performance was as underwhelming as anyone would expect from the low power.

Is there a reason for considering these two specific motors, and not a motor (and transaxle) salvaged from a production EV? I understand the appeal of an old DC motor (low motor cost and low controller complexity), but an AC-50 with suitable controller is close to US$5K at retail (Can EV is apparently the Canadian distributor for HPEVS, but doesn't list prices).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im considering these types of motors because it is way easier to mount them to my transmission and in my car. I don't want to hack the car apart if I don't have to. Im going to use my stock transmission.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got a nice big 12"x16" 48v DC series wound motor that weighs 210 pounds for cheap. It's a big beast and looks to be in good shape. I'm going to take it apart reinsulate the coils and advance the brushes about 8 degrees.

You guys think it will work decent ? I'm planning to run it around 144v.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Im considering these types of motors because it is way easier to mount them to my transmission and in my car. I don't want to hack the car apart if I don't have to. Im going to use my stock transmission.
That makes sense... but why are you determined to use the stock transmission? If you use a motor from a modern EV, you can use the transaxle which comes with it as well. I'm not saying that's trivial (you need to deal with mounting the motor-transaxle unit, and making halfshafts work with both the transaxle and the hubs), but it avoids any need to mate a motor to an unrelated transmission. Unlike many conversions (of front-engine rear-drive vehicles), you are starting with a car designed to work with a transverse powertrain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That makes sense... but why are you determined to use the stock transmission? If you use a motor from a modern EV, you can use the transaxle which comes with it as well. I'm not saying that's trivial (you need to deal with mounting the motor-transaxle unit, and making halfshafts work with both the transaxle and the hubs), but it avoids any need to mate a motor to an unrelated transmission. Unlike many conversions (of front-engine rear-drive vehicles), you are starting with a car designed to work with a transverse powertrain.
That just proves my point in how much more work is involved using a power train from a modern ev. I do not want to go that route, the car I'm using has a Muncie 5 speed and I want to keep the 5 speed manual.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That will work... with a DC motor, because the AC-50 won't be powerful enough. The problem then becomes stuffing in enough battery.
That's what I meant. He already mentioned he has a 200+ lb series DC motor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I found a big DC series wound motor today. It's a Clark 2774337 GE motor. 65 comm bars, 4 big brushes, series wound. Has a good mounting face too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes I found a big DC series wound motor today. It's a Clark 2774337 GE motor. 65 comm bars, 4 big brushes, series wound. Has a good mounting face too.
I want to see pictures of this big ole thang!
If you search Clark 2774337 on Google it will show you some pics of a motor on ebay that's the same motor.

I don't know how to post pics on here yet.lol

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I want to see pictures of this big ole thang!
If you search Clark 2774337 on Google it will show you some pics of a motor on ebay that's the same motor.

I don't know how to post pics on here yet.lol
Looks nice on Ebay Gigawatts.. Does your motor show the nominal power output? It's blank on the one on ebay.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts