DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I'm trying to track down a suitable clamp for where my accelerator cable meets my pot box. It's one of the things I've never quite been happy with on my conversion so far.
I know the kind of clamp I want but I do not know the name. Strangely enough, while waiting in a drive-through a few weeks back I looked over at the window of the video store next to me and saw this poster:

It may be a ridiculous poster however it did get me thinking about electric cars!
See the wire clamps holding the cable together above each tooth? Those clamps are PERFECT! They're just what I want - but don't know what they're called, or where to buy them!
Help!
:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Uhg, what a charming poster. Thanks for ruining my breakfast.

The clamps you want are ferrules that are used for joining small wire rope. Check with your local hardware supplier who carries wire rope or perhaps picture hanger accessories. They are soft aluminum and are crimped/deformed by a crimping tool to grip the wire. Those in the posted have been rather rudely mashed with pliers (or perhaps the main character in the movie chewed them shut?), but a much more reliable crimp would be made by using a hexagonal die and crimper pliers.

These ferrules come in several forms. Those which are supposed to be used for wire that loops back on itself will have two, joined, side-by-side holes. Ferrules that are used to dead-end a wire will have a single hole. They come in a variety of sizes, probably all the way up to 1"/26mm.

Don't overlook the possiblilty that a bicycle shop may have something that could work, perhaps a stop with a set screw so it could be adjustable.

If you positively can't find them around home, let me know, I can send you a care package with some included.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I used a red (small gauge wire) electrical ring terminal, and then connected it with a 6-32 screw and nylon lock nut not. I did not fully tighten the lock nut, so it can pivot. This has worked well for me. The problem with using the ferrule is that you still need a way to couple the cable and the linkage arm that can be undone.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a red (small gauge wire) electrical ring terminal, and then connected it with a 6-32 screw and nylon lock nut not. I did not fully tighten the lock nut, so it can pivot. This has worked well for me. The problem with using the ferrule is that you still need a way to couple the cable and the linkage arm that can be undone.
You wouldn't have a picture would you? Sounds interesting.

And Thanks Mr. Sharkey, I'll try a local bike shop this weekend.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't have a picture of that. Maybe I can take one later. Just imagine a standard ring (loop) terminal on a piece of wire. If your connection with a bolt isn't tight, it will be free to spin. The nylon lock nut won't come loose so you don't have the risk of the bolt falling off. You pretty much want to bolt it on snug and just back off enough to loosen it.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The only thing I can see wrong with this, is that the ring terminal is made of soft copper and will wear through quite quickly.

A better clamp would be the type that a carb shop would have, with a setscrew.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used an aluminum ferrule that I crimped over my shortened accelerator cable. I got a bag of 2 , a turbuckle and a spring real cheap (about 5 bucks U.S.) at a local hardware store. The turnbuckle is nice for adjusting it just right. I've been running this for about 4 months now with no trouble at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Wow, Nick, I like that. An aluminum casting sounds awesome! :cool:

One thought- seems to me most cars have a similar attachment (probably where the idea came from?) on the throttle body. I just went and looked at the one on the engine out of my Tercel and it looks like it would be easily adapted to a pot box. Especially with some mods to the pot box. Check out the (kind of blurry) pic.

Anyway, there's another one for the "ideas bin."

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Greenflight - yeah I could have taken the original one off the car but the wife is still driving it! :p

I designed my one based on the same 'throw' so that it would have the same pedal travel. The cable in the picture is a new one I bought to change over when the time comes.
I had 2 of these made so if one breaks I have a spare but if that happens i will get an alloy one made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts