DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my 96 Corolla EV. I have used the search and I have tried to navigate through all the post.
Questions
1. Steel vs Aluminum
2. Thickness
a. Steel 1/2
b. Aluminum 3/4 6061
c. Spacers (To compensate for the shaft).
3. Can you weld Aluminum?
4. Differential Metals: I believe that my AC50 is Steel so I should use steel for my adapter but my 5 speed transmission is Aluminum.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I started my 96 Corolla EV. I have used the search and I have tried to navigate through all the post.
Questions
1. Steel vs Aluminum
2. Thickness
a. Steel 1/2
b. Aluminum 3/4 6061
c. Spacers (To compensate for the shaft).
3. Can you weld Aluminum?
4. Differential Metals: I believe that my AC50 is Steel so I should use steel for my adapter but my 5 speed transmission is Aluminum.
1. Steel stronger, aluminum lighter. Steel is probably a better bet for something like an adapter plate. That's what CanEV.com does (where I got mine).
2c. Spacers depends on your adapter plate's thickness.
3. Yes you can weld aluminum. Requires AC current instead of the typical DC and is typically done with either tig or mig. 4. Look up galvanic corrosion for contact between metals. I don't think steel and aluminum is an issue but recommend you double check that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
It might be a minor issue, but I don't think it's as significant as galvanic for other metal combinations. In my car, the iron exhaust manifold was bolted directly to an aluminum supporting bracket. No gasket or sealant there.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
1. Steel stronger, aluminum lighter. Steel is probably a better bet for something like an adapter plate. That's what CanEV.com does (where I got mine).
Are you sure your adapter plate from CanEV is made of steel? All of the ones I see on their website are cast aluminum.
I had the same thought - while thin flat plates may be steel, and some thicker adapters may be fabricated from steel plate and tube, a typical commercially available adapter appears to be cast (then machined on mating surfaces), and no one would do that in steel. Cast iron is possible, but not necessary for the application.

Electric motor to transmission adapters follow in the long tradition of the adapters made to mount various engines onto various transmissions, such as the many for VW and Porsche transaxles by Kennedy Engineered Products. Kennedy's adapters all clearly appear to be aluminum.

I had an adapter to mount a Mazda rotary engine to a VW/Porsche transaxle (for a project which was not completed), and it was machined from aluminum plate.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the same thought - while thin flat plates may be steel, and some thicker adapters may be fabricated from steel plate and tube, a typical commercially available adapter appears to be cast (then machined on mating surfaces), and no one would do that in steel. Cast iron is possible, but not necessary for the application.

Electric motor to transmission adapters follow in the long tradition of the adapters made to mount various engines onto various transmissions, such as the many for VW and Porsche transaxles by Kennedy Engineered Products. Kennedy's adapters all clearly appear to be aluminum.

I had an adapter to mount a Mazda rotary engine to a VW/Porsche transaxle (for a project which was not completed), and it was machined from aluminum plate.
Thank you for this information.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.