DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was recently tinkering with the thoughts of adding an electric motor to the Miata in order to make it all-wheel drive, I have been thinking of ways to add power to the car, and electrifying it a bit seemed to be one of my thoughts.

Is something like this possible? What would be a good alternative?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello, I was recently tinkering with the thoughts of adding an electric motor to the Miata in order to make it all-wheel drive, I have been thinking of ways to add power to the car, and electrifying it a bit seemed to be one of my thoughts.

Is something like this possible? What would be a good alternative?
You say 'adding' like you want to keep the ICE?
The MX5 doesn't seem like an ideal project car for a hybrid build, no space!

An alternative would be to electrify it completely and somehow get a transfer case in there to run a front axle. The Lexus LS600h has a transfer case included, i'm not sure how well the fit would be on an MX5, however

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
The MX5 does need seem like an ideal project car for a hybrid build, no space!
I agree, and the MX5 is unsuitable for adding drive to the front in other ways, as well. The front hubs are not driven, and not readily swapped for driven hubs from another model variant. The front springs and shocks are in the way of axle shafts. The engine is in the way of any front drivetrain components.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll echo the above posts. Would be a very difficult endeavor.

If I had to do it, I would probably try to figure out a way to use hub motors. Lots of difficulty/downsides to this approach, but at least the time/effort/$$ would be spent on doing something really cool. And if you could get it working well, pretty much everyone involved in modern EVs would be interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts