DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had been considering my own EV conversion, but when I checked the price on used EV's like Leaf and Focus (2012 and 2013) I believe a used EV is the way to go. I saw many EV's (without damage) with 30,000 miles or less for $9000 to $12000. Seems to good to be true. Thoughts on going the used EV route?

My question: I'm considering adding on some used Tesla battery modules (four) to a Focus or Leaf to increase the range. Any huge expense or installation obstacles to this type of modification?

Thanks

· Registered
204 Posts
Had been considering my own EV conversion, but when I checked the price on used EV's like Leaf and Focus (2012 and 2013) I believe a used EV is the way to go. I saw many EV's (without damage) with 30,000 miles or less for $9000 to $12000. Seems to good to be true. Thoughts on going the used EV route?

My question: I'm considering adding on some used Tesla battery modules (four) to a Focus or Leaf to increase the range. Any huge expense or installation obstacles to this type of modification?

Thanks
How do you intend to connect the Tesla modules to the car?

· Registered
204 Posts
i don't know how to connect them. Do you have a usefull suggestion? If you do, please post it.
It's not going to be nearly as simple as you might think.

A Leaf uses 96 cells each 66 amp-hours.

A Tesla also uses 96 cell groups, but more like 250 amp-hours.

You can't connect them in series because of the differing capacity and the inverter/charger/dc-dc won't like the higher voltage. You can't connect them in parallel unless you add a full 96 cell groups, if Tesla cells the battery weighs 1,200 pounds.

The only two options are to add a second leaf pack in parallel to the first. Or to use a smaller pack with a DC-DC converter to step the voltage up. But doing that will now require a second charger and BMS system for the second pack.

But none of these options should even be considered by someone without a strong background in electrical systems

· Registered
73 Posts
Okay, If I go with a 2nd Leaf pack (same as original) in parallel, do I need the battery management system and the 2nd charger?

Thanks for your help.
no, You can use the stock one in the first leaf battery, and stock charger will work too if the modules of both batteries will be paralleled.

· Registered
1,362 Posts
I would recommend watching this video series which documents a DIY 18650 battery range extender fitted to a leased Leaf :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.