DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[Answered by Admin, work is in progress] Help! Many threads missing from forum?

It seems that there are missing threads from the forum, the title is present, but nothing shows up when it is selected.

In some cases, a message box appears with "No thread specified". i have sent a message to the administrator about this also.

Hopefully this is a temporary situation and it will be resolved, and hopefully the missing threads and posts get restored.

Thank you for your help in this matter.

[edit] We got an answer from Erik that the problem is known and work is in progress to resolve.

·
Administrator
368 Posts
Forums have been screwed up for a considerable period- ADMINS, get off your asses and get this FIXED!
First, let me just clarify that the Admins do not handle the fixing of these issues, so berating us about it is not necessary (or called for). The issues that are happening on the site are likely due to the fact that we have recently switched servers (we're now on Google Cloud) and have added https to all of the migrated sites. These are not simple processes and things often get a bit jumbled in the process. Our techs and migration team are looking into the issues that have resulted and are looking into a fix to get everything back on track.

We understand that it's frustrating that things are not functioning optimally at the moment, however your patience would be greatly appreciated while the techs are working to get it sorted. Again, this is happening across numerous sites that were recently migrated, not just this site. The techs are doing their best and will hopefully have everything sorted out soon.

Again, our apologies for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

Erik

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Erik, it is good to hear that the problem is acknowledged and work on a solution is in progress--we will try to be patient, but we sure do miss having access to our favorite source of technical information about Electric Vehicles.
kenny

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
First, let me just clarify that the Admins do not handle the fixing of these issues, so berating us about it is not necessary (or called for).
I agree on the berating point.

But whether the Admins actually handle the technical changes or not, they are absolutely responsible. It's literally in the name "Administrator". They are responsible for all such matters, whether it's them literally pushing keys on the keyboard or whether they hire someone to do that for them and to communicate it. Furthermore, we don't have access to communicate directly with the techs, so, yeah, you are the people for us to address the issue to.

The issues that are happening on the site are likely due to the fact that we have recently switched servers (we're now on Google Cloud) and have added https to all of the migrated sites. These are not simple processes and things often get a bit jumbled in the process.
1 - Why was no warning given? If there's any risk of downtime in any hosted services, a courtesy warning keeping people in the loop is simple and easy. It's also been standard industry practice for 30 years.

2 - Why was no testing done prior to migration? You don't make changes to an automobile production line and then just sell broken cars for a few months, you test your changes on test vehicles first. I would frankly be embarrassed to treat my customers otherwise. It's common sense to troubleshoot on a demo version, not just launch a change and then scramble to fix what breaks.

It's not like you're a company figuring this out for the first time. This is literally what your company specializes in.

We understand that it's frustrating that things are not functioning optimally at the moment, however your patience would be greatly appreciated while the techs are working to get it sorted.
I think the community would have a lot more patience if it was treated with any amount of respect in return. Vertical Scope made promises exactly to prevent this kind of thing when they took over. There was zero communication about the upcoming changes which indicates so little inexperience that literally no one even suspected there to be issues, or, so little respect that no one deserved being told about it. And then despite knowing that 1/7th of the database got blown away, zero communication on it for a week and a half.

It's not reasonable to treat an entire community like they're not even worth speaking to or acknowledging for 10 days, and then turn around and wag your finger and ask for patience and respect.

Again, this is happening across numerous sites that were recently migrated, not just this site.
Even more reason to test a transition, so that if you break something you don't break 30 different forums at once and then say you don't have the resources to fix all of them in a timely manner. Perhaps migrate and troubleshoot one site at a time?

Vertical Scope has been extremely unprofessional on this issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts