DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi; could someone please answer or direct me to a link. I understand the principle of advancing ice timing and have no problem applying it to a series motor. What type of degrees are we talking about? Its a 36v motor wanting to run say, 72v for brief acceleration runs.

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
Hi; could someone please answer or direct me to a link. I understand the principle of advancing ice timing and have no problem applying it to a series motor. What type of degrees are we talking about? Its a 36v motor wanting to run say, 72v for brief acceleration runs.
Hi pop,

You may not need any, depending on the particular motor. If you do have excessive arcing, I'd just try 5 degrees.

major

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have pulled the motor out and it has an adjustable brush holder. Pics show two 5/16 head screws that go into the ring that tightens the fibre plate. I have drilled holes in the bearing cover and it is possible to loosen the screws, move the brush holder as required, then tighten screws. Test run quite a while away yet. The motor is British, St. Mary's Cray, c 1970.Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts