DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if you search me you’ll know that I got screwed by Pokykup…. I paid 5 k but all I got was the AdvanticsVCU. ( Retail value $1600). Promised PolyKup MCU, TPMS sensors etc never showed up. These we’re supposed to control a Tesla LDU… Now I’ve Tried reaching out to Advantics for more particulars on their VCU but I don’t get any response…., Question is do I continue reaching out to Advantics for support or do I just give up and spend $2600 more and switch to EV controls??? The struggle is real….

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I asked Advantics a question they referred me to the seller. Here is their response to my installation question:
"Michal Elias commented:

Hello, please contact your reseller for support. We only directly support our customers. They should be able to help."

I guess they did not consider me a "customer" since I did not buy from them direct.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
If a company has distributors or resellers there are legal agreements.

A distributor typically consolidates smaller customers, takes credit and currency exchange risks, and provides front line sales and tech support.

In trade, the distributor relies on the company not poaching their customers by establishing relationship through direct interaction. A company "going direct" can undercut a distributor, so there's a detante in place where both win.

In other words, the company is obligated to send you to their reseller/distributor. What gets really complicated is there's territorial exclusivity. But everybody is out to maximize revenue and get return and word of mouth business. So, in theory, no customer can get abused.

Now, if the distributor is unresponsive and is besmirching the company's products, obviously the company needs to find out.

This amateur hour stuff that's being alleged in this forum is extremely out of the ordinary, pretty much uncharted waters in my experience. I was on the company side for a couple of decades and everybody went out of their way to be responsive and keep their customers happy. Distributors and factory, and everybody respected boundaries. But these were 8 to 10 digit revenue outfits.

This situation based on your reports is just weird all around. In hindsight, it should have been a chargeback on the credit card. It still may be a case for interstate fraud if there's evidence of it...postal inspectors, FTC, BBB, not sure who else might still be within any statute of limitations. If you have evidence of it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They never responded to me. Recently I got my “EV controls” unit. Super excited! I sent e v controls a couple follow up questions…. Like do I have to place a120 ohm resistor on terminal 19/20 of the LDU if I already have 2 resistors in the CAN BUS loop? One on the Orion BmS and one on the 6.6kW charger? And how do I power / activate the coolant pumps?? Thus far crickets….. sigh. Man I sound like a F’n Karen….

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a reply. Apparently canbus for the EV Controls unit should be separate from the BMS canbus system. As far as how to regulate the tempt with coolant pumps, that remains to be determined…. Fi now I will place a manual switch to acyivare the pumps and then go from there….

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m running tesla battery modules . They are water cooled during discharge as well as charge. Tesla used inline water pumps which can be controlled by PMW I believe it’s called. If no pmw signal is detected but 12 v is applied they will run at full bore. Currently I have a setup that is 2 circuits, one for the batteries, a second that cycles through both the Tesla Large Drive Unit (LDU) as well as the 6.6kW charger. These go up to a dual radiator cooled by a single electric fan… EV controls shows temp monitors in their display so I assumed they somehow had control over the fluid pumps but apparently not…. SuperFastMatt on YouTube discusses an arduino system to control the pumps. This may be something to explore further…. I’m just hoping to see the wheels finally turn in the next couple weeks so one step at a time I guess….

·
Registered
36 Posts
They never responded to me. Recently I got my “EV controls” unit. Super excited! I sent e v controls a couple follow up questions…. Like do I have to place a120 ohm resistor on terminal 19/20 of the LDU if I already have 2 resistors in the CAN BUS loop? One on the Orion BmS and one on the 6.6kW charger? And how do I power / activate the coolant pumps?? Thus far crickets….. sigh. Man I sound like a F’n Karen….
I've had the same experience with EV Controls. I have one of their controllers and a Tesla Model 3 motor. The manual is very limited with conflicting information and you get nothing delivered with the control module.
Emails are answered if repeated and if replied to quickly will be answered. I wonder if they only open Emails once a week. There should be a cheat sheet when initially powering up as it seems they need to see a screen grab of the motor info to decide what files are required to be flashed.
Good job I asked them. The App looks good though and its very cost effective.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had the same experience with EV Controls. I have one of their controllers and a Tesla Model 3 motor. The manual is very limited with conflicting information and you get nothing delivered with the control module.
Emails are answered if repeated and if replied to quickly will be answered. I wonder if they only open Emails once a week. There should be a cheat sheet when initially powering up as it seems they need to see a screen grab of the motor info to decide what files are required to be flashed.
Good job I asked them. The App looks good though and its very cost effective.
Ironically I received an e-mail today from da antics after what a month? Anyways I was able to contact ev controls this morning and as said above we shot 5 or 6 emails back and forth. I send a screenshot, he sends a flash file. Each time making progress. Took about an hour. In the end he said I was good to go. I pressed the drive button and….. nothing. I sent a dejected e mail and he replied “Did you have your foot on the brake when you tried to shift into gear??” 😣…. So after a quick adjustment the motor spun for the first time in the project!!
I’m stoked! Stopping by the auto parts store on my way home so I can get coolant to test out charging next. Bms also just fired up and says batteries at 50% state of charge. Pretty good for laying around for a full year….

things I learned: ev controls recommend separate canbus. I think I already said that. If you are trying to flash the drive and it isn’t working, cycle the key switch. Have your foot on the brake when shifting gears…

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ironically I received an e-mail today from da antics after what a month? Anyways I was able to contact ev controls this morning and as said above we shot 5 or 6 emails back and forth. I send a screenshot, he sends a flash file. Each time making progress. Took about an hour. In the end he said I was good to go. I pressed the drive button and….. nothing. I sent a dejected e mail and he replied “Did you have your foot on the brake when you tried to shift into gear??” 😣…. So after a quick adjustment the motor spun for the first time in the project!!
I’m stoked! Stopping by the auto parts store on my way home so I can get coolant to test out charging next. Bms also just fired up and says batteries at 50% state of charge. Pretty good for laying around for a full year….

things I learned: ev controls recommend separate canbus. I think I already said that. If you are trying to flash the drive and it isn’t working, cycle the key switch. Have your foot on the brake when shifting gears…
I guess we are off thread here and should continue on a new one related to EV Controls.
The controller seems to tick most boxes for me but they do need the manual cleaning up as the Model 3 motor has significant wiring differences and the diagrams jump between different motors without explanation with controller I/O information missing or insufficiently explained.
Significantly, there is no information to follow steps you describe above anywhere apart from a video that you find by luck hidden on their website.
The App associated with the drive controller is excellent so a bit more information with the controller would make a lot of sense.
You are about a week ahead of me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts