DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m learning and need some advise on this conversion.

Car is ’58 Fiat 500 Bianchina transformable
its quite small about 1150 lbs curb weight. (Will post a pic)

i picked up a 8.75” Diameter X 10” long weight was told 100lbs Sepex motor which I have very little data on other than was told from PO that it was 48 V. It has a rebuild sticker on it but no original data plate. So I took it apart to inspected It, everything was fine except the crack on the brush holder but I repaired that w epoxy, the 4 brushes are 3/8” X 1.250” seems pretty high current capable. I then tested it @ 36V w separate field control using a large 6V variable power supply and w 12 V using battery charger, motor runs and I was able to get 3-4k rpm by lower the field voltage. I can post my data next post if that is helpful? That is aprox. speed needed for this car to hit about 50mph

Not looking for a hot rod but wI’ll this motor power this small car reasonably well, and can I run it on higher Voltage Which seems logical to get more speed and power?

Im looking at batteries and found some locally,
first option is a 60V LG Chem 43ah Li-ion 2.58 Kw/module
second is a 83V A123 based pack w 59ah Lifepo 4.89kw/module (like this one better)

currently I was strongly considering a Curtis 1244-66XX
at 80V nominal, but the aforementioned pack will be 92V fully charged....will the controller handle the higher voltage pack or should I stay w 60V pack?

any advise on this would be appreciated I’m wanting to purchase batteries and control soon
but thought ide better get some advise from those who have done this before I jump in w both feet.
thanks In advance for your comments and advise!

Steve
San Mateo

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Im looking at batteries and found some locally,
first option is a 60V LG Chem 43ah Li-ion 2.58 Kw/module
second is a 83V A123 based pack w 59ah Lifepo 4.89kw/module (like this one better)
Just for clarity...
These are both lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries. The LG Chem probably has lithium nickel manganese cobalt oxide (or "NMC") electrodes, while the A123 has the lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4 or "LFP") that A123 was known for.

You might not be able to buy those LG Chem modules, because LG Chem reportedly ordered retailers to stop selling these for conversions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks for info on A123, the Lg chems are seconds hand units, Yes I read EV West stopped selling them...I like the A123 Modules even better now due to safer lifepo chemistry and higher capacity and voltage per unit over LG Chem, but I sure either would work, maybe the Lifepo max current is lower also compared to Lipo but don’t know for sure

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
... maybe the Lifepo max current is lower also compared to Lipo but don’t know for sure
"Lipo" (actually Li-po) means "lithium polymer", which means a lithium-ion cell with a polymer electrolyte. The electrolyte has nothing to do with the electrode chemistry, and the LG Chem cells do not have polymer electrolyte (and the A123 cells probably don't, either). LiFePO4 and Li-polymer are not alternatives; the terms describe unrelated features of the cells. Yes, the LFP (LiFePO4) and NMC cells may have different maximum current limits for the same capacity.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts