DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm gonna be converting an AE86 Corolla to all-electric in the next month or so.

I've been weighing out my options, and here's what I'm hoping to get (realistically)...

Range: 10-20 miles (track use mode) AND 30-40 miles (commuter mode)
Weight: 2700 lbs with motor and batteries
Batteries: 20-25 AGM 12V batteries (need help with a good brand, looking into Optima or Trojan).
Motor: Originally thinking AC, but would go DC if it was more cost effective. ~150hp ~150tq
Controller: No idea, really need help here. I'm a programmer by trade though, if that helps. I want to be able to switch "power" modes on the fly though.
Acceleration 0-60: ~6 seconds
1/4 Mile Time: ~15 seconds
Price: ~$14000

I'm going with a Corolla for its lightweight platform and for its popularity in the racing community. I have a full shop and can do most any fabrication that would be necessary, I just need to learn more about what I should get to hit those numbers.

So, whose got some info? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't really have any experiance with conversions but given your numbers check out this guys set up. Seems similar interms of your numbers and he has a "relatively" simple set up. The 86 has a great following in the racing/drifting community.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! This is some awesome information! I've been rethinking how many batteries I'd need and it looks like my new estimates that I had were closer than my previous ones, and confirmed by the number of batteries this guy used. Great link!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts