DIY Electric Car Forums banner

AEM VCU-200 anybody running it successfully

13262 Views 74 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  joekitch
I've been watching the AEM VCU-200 for a while now, but I haven't found anyone to successfully run it besides AEM in their black mustang and when they redid the EV West van. But I am assuming that both of those took forever to work and I am not really interested in being their guinea pig.

Is anyone running this and how hard was it to setup?
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey Mek, do you mind sharing that instruction? As far as I know there is no software patch available for TESLA LDU as all those FM patches are for Cascadia Inverters only...
I've only got the manual which explains the process. FIles are on Cascadia's site only. you can email me and i'll send the version that I have; Document 30-8042.

clinton (at) mek-ev.ca

· Registered
5 Posts
I think AEM really wants to drive the support questions through the resellers (EV West, etc.) so that is why they aren't easy to get a hold of. A few things I learned during my install:
1. As your testing and programming, try to avoid disconnecting the 12v battery a lot. I found that it wouldn't always retain it's settings and made troubleshooting hard.
2. Along with the comment above, if you disconnect the battery a lot you can lock up the VCU. I had to get a reset file from AEM to get it back working.
3. If you get this error "Loaded Defaults - Error Reading EEPROM" just go ahead and reach out to AEM before you waste your time. I spent hours and hours troubleshooting to find out that the VCU needed to be reset.
4. It took me a long time to get everything to the right state where it would fire all the contactors, etc. After that, it has been flawless.
I'm stuck at the EEPROM error!!!! OP States go into 4 (one time 5) and after all startup procedure is done, the LDUjust doesnt run...

· Registered
7 Posts
I think AEM really wants to drive the support questions through the resellers (EV West, etc.) so that is why they aren't easy to get a hold of. A few things I learned during my install:
1. As your testing and programming, try to avoid disconnecting the 12v battery a lot. I found that it wouldn't always retain it's settings and made troubleshooting hard.
2. Along with the comment above, if you disconnect the battery a lot you can lock up the VCU. I had to get a reset file from AEM to get it back working.
3. If you get this error "Loaded Defaults - Error Reading EEPROM" just go ahead and reach out to AEM before you waste your time. I spent hours and hours troubleshooting to find out that the VCU needed to be reset.
4. It took me a long time to get everything to the right state where it would fire all the contactors, etc. After that, it has been flawless.
Our project currently stuck with the Loaded default - Error Reading EEPROM" problem as well. How's the procedure of resetting the VCU? Does it require some files from AEM or is it something that can be done on ourselves? Thanks!

· Registered
5 Posts
I'd ran into this issue when the contactors didn't close correctly, and the voltage was not available to the inverter at the correct time frame. Check there.
Mek,

I did everything for the startup appropiately. All relays close and HV is available on the LDU. Just that it refuses to go into OPState 5, with the EEPROM error.

Feel like we are just so close to getting it spin.
Any clue mate? Would highly appreciate it.

Brian

· Registered
70 Posts
I've been running the VCU200 now for months in my Rabbit with the split LDU motor and the 2019 Ford Mustang rear diff and suspension. It's been working fine but I must tell you that AEM installed the whole system at their facility as it was the first one to get installed after they installed the one in the black Mustang I sold them to do testing with. It was there for about 3 months gettings things worked out on the dyno. I'm also running the VCU 200 in my newest build with the M3 motor and Ingenext motor controller. That VCU200 is only controlling the AEM BMS. My thoughts on both: To say there is a few settings is an understatement, we figure there are hundreds of settings you can adjust and believe me I still have not figure it all out. Calib and Sam at AEM have been a big help and yes they have their hands full with service calls. The thing that really bothers me about the whole setup is that they took an ICE race car controller and tweaked it to run EVs. They took all this time to build a LDU motor control board and did not take the time to make a simple stand alone interface for it. If you look at the Openinverter LDU controls you will find a simple interface to control your motor. I'm going back to Openinverter for my next builds and I really hope that AEM will dumb down their setup for weekend EV builder. Having AEM on speed dial is not what we are looking for. I really do hope they work out the bugs and eliminate customer frustration. Even after playing with their stuff for a year I'm still not confident that I could help anyone with their issues with it. That's frustrating to me for sure as I wish I could help.

· Registered
7 Posts
Why aren't you guys working with AEM support on this?
We are waiting for them to get back to us, and we are also looking for some possible solutions here.

As Roadstercycle suggests, it might take a while for them to get back to us. Their replying speed is really fast when you can get in touch with their tech support in person, but now the guy who kept communicating with us is on vacation so we have to wait again.

· Registered
5 Posts
Mek,

I did everything for the startup appropiately. All relays close and HV is available on the LDU. Just that it refuses to go into OPState 5, with the EEPROM error.

Feel like we are just so close to getting it spin.
Any clue mate? Would highly appreciate it.

Brian
Besides installing one of the AEM supplied cal files, the only thing that you can really do is go through every channel and option as it relates to the LDU op state: thing such as temp, can 3, can 4, IMD state (where you can select the min HV threshold), and inverter discharge. It's all a matter of reading and checking every one.

· Registered
2 Posts
I'm running the VCU 200 with an IM225 inverter right now. I was about to do another car with it but I'm going to leave the VCU on the shelf this time since it's not that reliable. I really want to like it, but it sometimes it won't precharge and the PRND won't work properly. If a customer's car has glitches that require a laptop to re-upload the same settings file to get it working again, that's not good. I'm really hoping this is something that gets sorted in the future, since the VCU has such good potential

· Registered
5 Posts
We are waiting for them to get back to us, and we are also looking for some possible solutions here.

As Roadstercycle suggests, it might take a while for them to get back to us. Their replying speed is really fast when you can get in touch with their tech support in person, but now the guy who kept communicating with us is on vacation so we have to wait again.
Finally have the reset files.. and guess what... AEMcal refuses to do its work.
Finished first half of the reset by flashing the recovery patch.. power cycled.. then we are supposed to reflash the normal firmware under the recovery mode. Apparently every time i click it, nothing except the disclaimer pops up. Nothing could be done to proceed, even if we want to connect to the VCU, it keeps asking for a defintion file. According to AEM's guide, we were to press "Cancel" and it should proceed.. apparently not.
Font Screenshot Electronic device Rectangle Multimedia

Attached is the message.

Can't believe even a simple factory reset could be so troublesome. I swear to god everything that could go wrong, went wrong and I am so fucking done with it. Guess another days of WAITING for an email reply on how to fix this. Or even if this is fixable.

· Registered
5 Posts
Finally have the reset files.. and guess what... AEMcal refuses to do its work.
Finished first half of the reset by flashing the recovery patch.. power cycled.. then we are supposed to reflash the normal firmware under the recovery mode. Apparently every time i click it, nothing except the disclaimer pops up. Nothing could be done to proceed, even if we want to connect to the VCU, it keeps asking for a defintion file. According to AEM's guide, we were to press "Cancel" and it should proceed.. apparently not.
View attachment 135259
Attached is the message.

Can't believe even a simple factory reset could be so troublesome. I swear to god everything that could go wrong, went wrong and I am so fucking done with it. Guess another days of WAITING for an email reply on how to fix this. Or even if this is fixable.
Found the fix... WINDOWS 7 COMPATIBILITY MODE!!!!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts