DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the "Magic Number" for original (1971) VW Aircooled Super Beetle? That is, the distance from the forward-most surface of the flywheel to the forward-most surface of the original combustion engine. We need to machine an adapter plate for the electric motor we're putting in, but already sold away the engine and forgot to measure.... :(

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you going to run a clutch and flywheel or run it direct? I have several VW motors and can probably measure it later this week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does anyone know the "Magic Number" for original (1971) VW Aircooled Super Beetle? That is, the distance from the forward-most surface of the flywheel to the forward-most surface of the original combustion engine. We need to machine an adapter plate for the electric motor we're putting in, but already sold away the engine and forgot to measure.... :(

Thanks a lot
You're in luck :) I measured it at 36.5mm and in my CAD model I set it to 37mm to allow for part tolerance errors. According to my assembly it seems like VW engineered in a 1mm clearance gap between the clutch release bearing face and the clutch springs.
My blog has some reference images of this dim, check its the dim you are looking for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You're in luck :) I measured it at 36.5mm and in my CAD model I set it to 37mm to allow for part tolerance errors. According to my assembly it seems like VW engineered in a 1mm clearance gap between the clutch release bearing face and the clutch springs.
My blog has some reference images of this dim, check its the dim you are looking for.

Hmmm just thought I should have set dropped it to 36mm to allow a little more clearance between the release bearing and spring. I'd go with 36mm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts