DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everybody,

This is my first post here, so for the introduction:
My name is Alex Belenkiy, i am a Sr. IT Services Engineer in New York. Fancy title for a system admin :)
I have very good computer, decent electronics, limited mechanical skills. Always willing to learn as i go.

I have finally gotten past the two year spousal approval stage of performing my conversion. :)
Work on home remodeling/repairs/upgrades and persistence pays off.

Bought a green 1999 Audi A6 Quattro automatic to convert. It is an AWD car, there is no way to turn off the AWD part that i know of.
I got the Audi as it has "easy" access to the engine from the front. Inspired by the Metric Mind Audi conversion.
The car does not drive at the moment, possibly a transmission issue, not sure.
I am still a bit undecided on whether to keep the possibly broken old transmission or do a direct drive (direct to differential that is).
Would like to get some input from you guys as to how to proceed better.

My realistic expectations are as follows:
As inexpensive a conversion as possible. If this one goes well, will do a more expensive one next time.
I would like to use the open ReVolt controller by Paul and Sabrina. Or it's AC brother once it is ready to go.
Will need 20-30 mile range, i will be driving it around town, mostly stop and go traffic.
Would like to get 60-75 mph speeds when needed. Mostly will drive in the 40s.
I would like to be able to utilize all of the car safety features (ABS, airbags, power steering, and power brakes). Have kids and cannot lose the safety aspect.

I am trying to learn about what motors would be best suited for this car, so i can narrow down my ebay and craigslist searches. I understand it should be over 100lb and around 20 or more HP to move this 3500lb car.
Not sure if i should stop digging for forklift motors or not.

I will most likely start with lead acid batteries, but will buy them last. If the conversion will go smoothly will purchase them or LiFePo4 (or whatever will be decent and cheaper by the time i'm done).
Working only on weekends and sometimes after work, i am hoping it should take me a year to do it.
I have a garage to do some of the work in, but there is no space for the car, it will be worked on in the driveway. I don't have a lift either, but do have triangles that will let me raise the car off the ground a bit. Can also build wooden stands if need be.

Please let me know your thoughts, criticism, ideas, comments, and advice.

Thank you in advance,
Alex Belenkiy

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
That's a nice car, a bit heavy and with lead it will be very heavy.
An 11" forklift motor might do the trick if you can find one. Repairing/replacing your tranny might be the best option given your likely limited power and heavy awd car. Is there a manual shifting mode for the transmission? It would also make you idle the motor (can the open revolt do this yet?) which would let your power steering etc work at low speeds when you need it, assuming you keep the stock stuff and run it off the tail shaft of a motor (if it has one).

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for answering.

"An 11" forklift motor might do the trick if you can find one. "

Is there a minimum rpm/hp I should be looking at?

"Repairing/replacing your tranny might be the best option given your likely limited power and heavy awd car. Is there a manual shifting mode for the transmission? It would also make you idle the motor (can the open revolt do this yet?) which would let your power steering etc work at low speeds when you need it, assuming you keep the stock stuff and run it off the tail shaft of a motor (if it has one)."

I don't mind losing the AWD functionality.
It does have manual shifting mode.
I definitely don't want to idle. Is there any way at all without idle to make it run on the tranny?
I don't mind getting a few small pumps, etc... to get the power steering/brakes working.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I believe it should not be too hard to source a transmission from the FWD variant. A breaker might be interested in trading parts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to find a manual transmission to trade with someone towards the latter part of the project. I assume the motor/transmission adapter will have the same pattern on both manual and automatic.
I have also bought a motor this weekend. Baldor EM2515T 20HP 1765RPM 230/460V usable at 208V, 47/23.5A 230LBs, 93% efficiency and PF 86.
Got a great deal $125, not sure if it will be the best for the car, if its not i can always use it to test the controller.
If anyone in the NY area is looking for a motor, i found a recycling place on craigslist that has a bunch of these and their heavier brothers with 25HP. They had two pallets

Thank you
Alex Belenkiy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good day everybody,
Long time no post.
Here is my progress so far:
Removed the engine and its friends(exhaust/cats/alternator/starter/radiator), leaving transmission in.
I have pictures posted on my blog, www . yitsupport . com
Bought a steel plate and will try to drill it to make an adapter this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Unfortunately i had to abandon the project. Between work and family had no time at all.

Learned some lessons along the way and will try again in the future.
Next time i will make or buy the controller and all parts before getting the car. Will also get a better car that is made in the US or has cheap parts readily available.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Unfortunately i had to abandon the project. Between work and family had no time at all.

Learned some lessons along the way and will try again in the future.
Next time i will make or buy the controller and all parts before getting the car. Will also get a better car that is made in the US or has cheap parts readily available.
hopefully you can buy a car that doesn't need a lot of new parts. ;) perhaps CV half-shafts, clutch-plate, new brakes, and new shocks to get it ready for 100k of EV life, right?!

sorry to hear you had to ditch the audi, I was hoping to get a synopsis of the build....

most ev parts you could collect ahead of time, but obviously the tranny adaptor is a last minute thing. oh well, good luck in getting back to it someday!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts