DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm considering on buying an electric motor from alibaba (china), because warp motors are hell expensive. Chinese motors offer good ratings, but does anybody here tested a motor being sold from china? Are they good? Planning to convert my toyota corolla, forklift motors here in the Philippines are very few. Your inputs will be so much appreciated.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Generally-accepted concensus:

1 - Don't buy a Warp.
2 - If you want DC, just use a forklift motor.
3 - If you can't find a forklift motor, don't do DC.
4 - OEM EV motors or transaxles are the cheap way to go.

You can usually get Prius Gen2/3 transaxles for like $150-200 in NA and EU. Inverters for $50-$150. And then there's drop-in boards you can buy to repurpose those.

You can easily get motor+controller for a small fraction of some clunky chinese DC motor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Generally-accepted concensus:

1 - Don't buy a Warp.
2 - If you want DC, just use a forklift motor.
3 - If you can't find a forklift motor, don't do DC.
4 - OEM EV motors or transaxles are the cheap way to go.

You can usually get Prius Gen2/3 transaxles for like $150-200 in NA and EU. Inverters for $50-$150. And then there's drop-in boards you can buy to repurpose those.

You can easily get motor+controller for a small fraction of some clunky chinese DC motor.
Can you please share a link for sites that have these parts for these prices? I want to do a conversion but the prices am getting here in Ghana are crazy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts