DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out this video I made of the 2010 "Americarna" parade (recorded last night). It's a celebration of all things American, focusing primarily on those spectacular cars.

We had just over 700 "Yank Tanks" cruising New Plymouth's streets this year. The car numbers had to be limited again or the parade would have taken a full day. Cars came from all over the country with three cars being shipped in from the USA for the week-long event.

A very very impressive display. All those big cars, the excess, the style. It makes me want to visit the USA even more.
Many Kiwis (myself included) really love all things American - even though some of us won't admit it!

One question: What does the flag at 0:29 mean? It must have something to do with the USA but I'm not sure what. Anyone?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
One question: What does the flag at 0:29 mean? It must have something to do with the USA but I'm not sure what. Anyone?
Thats the confederate flag. You heard about the american civil war between north and south? Thats the flag of the south.

Damn I still have a thing for the mustang Mach 1.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One question: What does the flag at 0:29 mean? It must have something to do with the USA but I'm not sure what. Anyone?[/quote]

yes as stated thats the 'rebel' flag of the south.....hence those southern boys being called 'rebs'....:D

cool innit ?!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Gav
In a country with little more than 4 million people, it's amazing to me that you could host an event with that many Classic "Foreign" Cars.
And......all of them American.

I guess it's part and parcel of New Zealand itself. You people never cease to amaze the rest of us. Must be something in the water........or beer?
Roy

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Gav
In a country with little more than 4 million people, it's amazing to me that you could host an event with that many Classic "Foreign" Cars.
And......all of them American.

I guess it's part and parcel of New Zealand itself. You people never cease to amaze the rest of us. Must be something in the water........or beer?
Roy
Well if they are anything like australia or canada, they do have 5~6% alcohol in the beer.;)

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehehe, yeah, it's the water!

Thanks for explaining the confederate flag, do the Northerners/Anti-Confederates (or whatever they're called) have a flag too?

Also, what's the stunning black car at 1:50? Curiously, they've converted it to correct-hand-drive. :p
It's just beautiful - what is it?!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Gav
The "Stunning Black" car at 1:50 is a 1955 Ford Thunderbird V8 powered 292cu in (4.8 litre) came with automatic or 3 speed manual trans.
Here in the states we call it a T-Bird. It's a very desirable collectible with high end restorations selling in excess of $100,000.00 US.

The Union or Northern Army's flag is the one we still honor today. We call it the Stars & Stripes.......back then it was referred to as the Union Jack.

Did some one say Jack? Is it 5 o'clock?
Oh well.....it's 5 o'clock somewhere. :D

Roy

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I didn't know what "union jack" meant until now. The stone's lyrics to "Get off my Cloud" finally make sense now. Well, at least a little more sense:D

If some one wrapped themselves in the flag and started preaching to me I would probably say the same thing LOL!

So the southerners basically compared the north to the british by calling their flag the union jack? Am I getting that right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Flag

Ford did a Remake of that T-bird more recently.

As you can see, the car is now completely childproof with no sharp edges what so ever.

·
Registered
778 Posts
David
I'm not sure who called the Stars & Stripes a Union Jack first, the North or South but it was the flag of the Union Army (North).
And yes, it was probably borrowed from the British reference to their Union Jack.
Other references to the Stars & Stripes include: Old Glory - The Red, White & Blue - The American Flag - Old Betsy (from the designer Betsy Ross) and The Star Spangled Banner just to name a few.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I prefer the older un childproofed Thunderbird!

One more question to you friendly yanks up in the USA: In that song on the video it mentions "Blue jeans and chinos" a few times.

My wife and I can't figure out what the heck "Chinos" are. The best we could come up with is that perhaps it's American slang for cappuccino?

Pardon my ignorance yet again... :eek:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Gav
"Chinos" refers to a style of mens pants which were popular back in the 1950's & 60's. They are a polished cotton, had cuffs at the bottom and came in a variety of colors. A similar style today would be a brand of pants called Dockers.
Roy

N

·
0 Posts
Those big cars of the 50s and 60s do bring back memories. I have owned a few and restored a couple. The one that sticks in my memory the most is the 1953 Buick Road Master. There was a tank. My Dad was a Buick man for a long time and the Road Master was the one he had the longest. He bought it in 1954 when we lived in Kansas. We moved to California in 1956 with that car and for the next 5 years every summer vacation we would make the 1700 mile trip to Missouri in it. Dad would drive back to Calif. alone and my Mom and my brother and I would thankfully take the train later so I don't know how he drove but I suspect it was the same as going. Dad would drive that two ton plus barge straight through on old Route 66 as fast as he could go usually between 70 to 80 miles an hour only stopping long enough for gas. My Mom kept a quart jar with a lid for my younger brother an me. If we didn’t go pee at the gas station and had to go in between gas ups we used the jar. The reason he finally got rid of that Buick was the automatic transmission gave out in the middle of the San Joaquin (Wa-keen) Valley. He had to drive in reverse for about 30 miles to get to a town so he could call my Uncle Derwood to come and get us and pull that Buick another Fifty miles or so home with his 1955 Ford half ton pickup. That was another whole new adventure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts