DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some motors made by Cascadia Motion, formerly AM Racing. For those who are unfamiliar with these motors, they use the celebrated Borg-Warner (Remy) HVH-250-115 motor cores. These cores are designed to be cooled internally, both rotor and stator, with oil. Although this allows for the motors to achieve unsurpassed power density, an oil cooling loop is difficult to work with. AM Racing designed these motors with the whole oil system integrated internally. The motor has a built in pump, sump and heat exchanger so that the motor can be cooled with a conventional Water/Ethylene Glycol mix while still retaining the advantages of the internal oil cooling.

A few considerations: The motors I have are series wound. This means that the motor creates twice as much torque per amp as the more common parallel wound version. At the same time, it also creates twice as much back EMF per RPM. So, its rated torque is at 300A instead of 600A, but the torque rolls off at half the RPM for a given voltage. This makes the motor well suited for someone who wants to get full torque with a 300A controller.

The other unique characteristic is that instead of a splined shaft these motors have a 1 3/8" keyed shaft.

The motors are unused; they were purchased for a project that ended up going in a different direction. New from Cascadia, these cost over $10,000; I would be willing to let them go for $5,500 each plus shipping. I have four available.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks! Might be a question for PM's, but have y'all ever tried to run them significantly over 300A for short duration, say <30s? How hard is the 300A limit the literature all quotes?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Might be a question for PM's, but have y'all ever tried to run them significantly over 300A for short duration, say <30s? How hard is the 300A limit the literature all quotes?
I've never personally ran it above 300A. I know that there are some who have ran the parallel winding versions as high as 700A peaks, which would be equivalent to 350A with this series wound version.

These motor cores are built and qualified and tested by a large company (Borg Warner). Like anything built by a large established company, there's margin. How much? You're flying blind, but it won't catastrophically fail the second you go over 300A. In general the failure mechanisms come from heat and magnetic field strength. At some level, heat can damage the winding insulation. And at high currents, the combination of heat AND magnetic field strength will demagnetize the permanent magnets. Personally, I wouldn't run it above the 350A that others have pushed it to.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've never personally ran it above 300A. I know that there are some who have ran the parallel winding versions as high as 700A peaks, which would be equivalent to 350A with this series wound version.

These motor cores are built and qualified and tested by a large company (Borg Warner). Like anything built by a large established company, there's margin. How much? You're flying blind, but it won't catastrophically fail the second you go over 300A. In general the failure mechanisms come from heat and magnetic field strength. At some level, heat can damage the winding insulation. And at high currents, the combination of heat AND magnetic field strength will demagnetize the permanent magnets. Personally, I wouldn't run it above the 350A that others have pushed it to.
Gotcha, thanks. Do you have any inverters to pair with these? PM150's I guess?

·
Registered
577 Posts
These motors are $4750 new from Borg Warner, last I looked.

Sadly with all the salvage EV motors these days, and given you can buy a complete DU and inverter from a Model 3 for under 2 grand, they've become next to worthless (I have several, myself) 😢

1 - 9 of 9 Posts