DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EV Dash/Speedo for Soliton1

I have just released my EV Dashboard for Android devices today. It is an open source project and is free for personal use.

While I do not intend to do much more work on this I will be fixing bugs if they arise and if any one is keen the code will allow for easily adding other gauges and data sources.

Project Home: http://code.google.com/p/evdash Use this one if your device does not support GPS.

On Android Market as EV Speedo: https://market.android.com/search?q=evspeedo&so=1&c=apps

My EV project: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/1998-mazda-mx5-project-nz-38317.html

Enjoy..

Pete.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks. Really, from the bottom of my heart, thanks.

That looks beautiful on your Nexus One.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is something special.
Regards,
John
Nvidia gauge LCD graphics
Yea those examples are cool.

My graphics skills aren't up to that sort of level. Although if I was building a primary dashboard I would have tried :D

I will be redoing those images at some stage for myself, because they are based off my Subaru Legacy GT rather than my MX5 which is the car its going in :rolleyes:

Pete.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

EvDash is now officially in the Android Market as of today - just search for evdash. Requires an Android v2.1+ phone and works best with a Evnetics Soliton1 motor controller.

Even if you don't have a Soliton1 controller you're welcome to try it for the speedometer and g-meters which run off the GPS and accelerometers of the device.

If are a keen developer but have a different controller or device to connect to the project is open source and you're welcome to contribute to the source or use it for your own personal use.

If you need help with setting it up, send me a PM.

Cheers,
Pete.

http://www.rad.co.nz

·
Registered
714 Posts
Can I use this on my I-Phone?:confused:
I have the previous version.
Regards,
John

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I use this on my I-Phone?:confused:
I have the previous version.
Sorry, its not for iPhone.

This one work on phone like HTC/Google Nexus One, HTC Passion/Desire, Motorola Droid and many others..

There is another dash board project for iphone/ipod touch on this forum, not sure if they have a release yet, it looks very good.

Pete.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Thank you Pete!

Just downloaded it from Market a second ago. Haven't tested it on the road yet but just to let you know, it runs fine on Android 2.2 beta. It does crash when I hit the Exit button but that's probably 2.2 and not your code.

I'm sure you have plenty of ideas for it and you just came out of the gate with it, but here are a few ones:

- Add "lights" to the gauges that can be turned on/off. A set bright/dull graphs would do fine (easy for me to say, eh?)

- Add "profiles" so we can switch between several screens. One screen could be for normal driving with MPH, RPM, Volt, etc and another for things like charging, maintenance, etc. If you get something similar to Android's "home" screens where you can flip them left/right that'd be great.

- Have standard sets of "templates" or factory screens so we can be up and running quickly and customize them later. This is a good way to impress first time runners.

- Document the I/O to the gauges so we can plug our own stuff. I like the Wifi concept for a no cables (or one if DC powered) install.

BTW, thanks for providing an Exit button on your Android app. That seems to be sorely missed in many other. While it's understood that generally apps don't run in the background, some do so you never know if an app is eating up your battery or what.

I'm off to try it out on the road...

Regards,
JR

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you Pete!

Just downloaded it from Market a second ago. Haven't tested it on the road yet but just to let you know, it runs fine on Android 2.2 beta. It does crash when I hit the Exit button but that's probably 2.2 and not your code.

I'm sure you have plenty of ideas for it and you just came out of the gate with it, but here are a few ones:

- Add "lights" to the gauges that can be turned on/off. A set bright/dull graphs would do fine (easy for me to say, eh?)

- Add "profiles" so we can switch between several screens. One screen could be for normal driving with MPH, RPM, Volt, etc and another for things like charging, maintenance, etc. If you get something similar to Android's "home" screens where you can flip them left/right that'd be great.

- Have standard sets of "templates" or factory screens so we can be up and running quickly and customize them later. This is a good way to impress first time runners.

- Document the I/O to the gauges so we can plug our own stuff. I like the Wifi concept for a no cables (or one if DC powered) install.

BTW, thanks for providing an Exit button on your Android app. That seems to be sorely missed in many other. While it's understood that generally apps don't run in the background, some do so you never know if an app is eating up your battery or what.

I'm off to try it out on the road...

Regards,
JR
JR - those are brilliant suggestions... I especially like the idea of having multiple screens like the android home page. I kind of rushed the release yesterday when I added the AdMob functionality it showed up some bugs on the exit/pause. I'll fix that asap.

When I start using it myself with my car daily I'll not doubt make a new release and incorporate cool suggestions like yours.

Cheers,
Pete.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I lied about not doing anymore work on this project, I liked JR's suggestion too much and added multiple panes so that you can now put MPH, GPS info on one screen and then flip to the Soliton1 gauges (RPM, Amps etc) on the other screen.

I also added a google maps view which shows and follows a map of your current location, with the ability to overlay any of the other gauges on top of the map.

In the Android Market as 'EV Speedo' now. Version 1.1 uploaded a few minutes ago.

Pete.

·
Registered
131 Posts
EV Dashboard

Well I lied about not doing anymore work on this project, I liked JR's suggestion too much and added multiple panes so that you can now put MPH, GPS info on one screen and then flip to the Soliton1 gauges (RPM, Amps etc) on the other screen.

I also added a google maps view which shows and follows a map of your current location, with the ability to overlay any of the other gauges on top of the map.

In the Android Market as 'EV Speedo' now. Version 1.1 uploaded a few minutes ago.

Pete.
Pete I've been using your app for a few days now. It is a great tool combined with the Soliton 1. I installed the new version on a tablet and it didn't fly right so I'm using the older version but I wonder if you can get error info and display it ?i.e. if the red light is blinking on the controller display that somewhere. Just installed new version on droid phone , can I remove the ads for singles in my area ? or if you have to force that in the app can you estimate distance/range and what kind of charging solutions are near these singles?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I have just released my EV Dashboard for Android devices today. It is an open source project and is free for personal use.

While I do not intend to do much more work on this I will be fixing bugs if they arise and if any one is keen the code will allow for easily adding other gauges and data sources.

Project Home: http://code.google.com/p/evdash

My EV project: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/1998-mazda-mx5-project-nz-38317.html

Enjoy..

Pete.
Thank you Pete! This is really nice. I may just buy a smallish tablet and mount it in the truck. I would love to add some other things to a second or third display.... if I only knew how... lol

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I was just at radio shack they have a 5" archos for $129.00
wifi bluetooth and GPS perfect. you want wifi and gps

To remove the ads you buy the app for $2
the EV speedo does not run on my archos 101 but the evdash does run on it.
Thanks dd... .except I'm in Canada. Our Radio Shacks disappeared :( replaced with "The Source"... kinda sucks. No more electronic bits.
Assuming I mount this in my truck.... somehow, what voltage does it take to power... I guess I would just wire in a car charger... like 12v to 9v or something like that?
Also, what wireless router is good for a mobile application like this. Vibration and DC power input levels.....??

·
Registered
131 Posts
DIY I'm using the trusted Linksys WRT54G they use 12v 1 amp
the Soliton 1 has an IP of 169.254.0.1 . The best bet is to make the router use a static IP internet connection and punch in 169.254.0.254 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 and a gateway of 169.254.0.1 plug a wire from the controller into one of the 4-5 Lan ports not the Internet/WAN port .
the default settings for the rest will work . there are many ways to make this work. start out simple and do not use wireless security until you get things connected and know the tablet works with the wifi . they don't all just work out of the box. a good tablet will stay awake a lot longer than your driving range . my Archos 101 does about 10 hours but it lacks the GPS . the droid phone is just a pinch too small
you could always mount a abandoned UPS like I plan on doing

wire this to 12 volts and you have a small mobile 110 outlet , you gotta kill the buzzer warning you are on battery :)

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
you could always mount a abandoned UPS like I plan on doing
wire this to 12 volts and you have a small mobile 110 outlet , you gotta kill the buzzer warning you are on battery :)
Thanks dd. :) U mean to use the mount from an abandoned GPS? I doubt the GPS will work... I mean, some have Wifi, but u need something running this droid app, right?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
What do you think about this one....
NEW Ramos W9 Android 2.1 7" 256MB 8GB MID Tablet PC

??

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Thanks dd. :) U mean to use the mount from an abandoned GPS? I doubt the GPS will work... I mean, some have Wifi, but u need something running this droid app, right?
I'm pretty sure he meant an abandoned UPS, as shown in his picture. It's white. Probably as an Aux battery. Notice the wall-wart plugged into it?

1 - 20 of 116 Posts