DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

Wanting to build an old square body S10, or possibly square body Ranger. (Prefer the S10 though). This is not going to be a budget build, Budget is fairly open, but of course no one wants to spend more money than they have to, want this to be a hot rod, I want this to knock you back in the seat!

Would love to do a tesla motor, but independent rear suspension is scaring me away from that, but still willing to go that route! I have seen some pretty cool things using nissan leaf parts.

Anyways, looking at a 3-5 year time frame to get this done.

Excited to pick some brains here!

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The S10 was, and is, a popular conversion choice for a reason. Looking here, and swinging by evalbum.com you can find a pretty wide range of components and reported performance and see what tickles your fancy.

Most of the evalbum builds are several years old (at least) but still worth a look in terms of packaging even if the components are outdated.

·
Registered
336 Posts
My truck is very much not a hot-rod, but it might at least give you an idea of how far 15k goes towards doing a conversion. My motor is rated at 120kw I believe, but I have not even tried giving it more than half of that. I dont recall how much output one can hope to squeeze out of a leaf motor, but that was another possible route I had considered. High current draw will need a fairly big battery, so you will likely get at least 100 miles of range in the bargain.

The S-10 does seem like a nice truck to use as a conversion, although the interior on my '96 is kinda funky. Plastic trim pieces often fall off when I shut the doors :LOL:

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Would love to do a tesla motor, but independent rear suspension is scaring me away from that, but still willing to go that route! I have seen some pretty cool things using nissan leaf parts.
I'm not recommending this, but you could follow Ford's lead with the Ranger EV and put the motor and transaxle in the back with a de Dion beam suspension. This could work with Tesla, Leaf, or just about any other donor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not recommending this, but you could follow Ford's lead with the Ranger EV and put the motor and transaxle in the back with a de Dion beam suspension. This could work with Tesla, Leaf, or just about any other donor.
I have heard of a de Dion beam suspension before, but thats about as much as I know about it. What would the advantages be for going that route?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My truck is very much not a hot-rod, but it might at least give you an idea of how far 15k goes towards doing a conversion. My motor is rated at 120kw I believe, but I have not even tried giving it more than half of that. I dont recall how much output one can hope to squeeze out of a leaf motor, but that was another possible route I had considered. High current draw will need a fairly big battery, so you will likely get at least 100 miles of range in the bargain.

The S-10 does seem like a nice truck to use as a conversion, although the interior on my '96 is kinda funky. Plastic trim pieces often fall off when I shut the doors :LOL:

S10 seems as close to a perfect vehicle to use as possible in my view! Fairly light weight, and plenty of room to put components!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay so after looking into the de dion suspension (light surface research so far) that seems dead easy in comparison to having to work in an independent suspension! of course saying that im sure its still not going to be a walk in the park! haha

·
Registered
64 Posts
Very interesting! You Mount the drive unit to the frame, build a big tube that goes around the DU to hold the wheels/brakes/etc. install a 4-link suspension and done. Plenty of space for the DU and leftover space for batteries.

For axles and brakes, get your favorite units from a vehicle with IRS. Attach to the de Dion dead axle.

That straight forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
I have heard of a de Dion beam suspension before, but thats about as much as I know about it. What would the advantages be for going that route?
Just that it allows use of a beam axle (so, the original suspension or close to it) without mounting the drive unit (motor and transmission) right on the axle or far enough away for a driveshaft to work properly.

Okay so after looking into the de dion suspension (light surface research so far) that seems dead easy in comparison to having to work in an independent suspension! of course saying that im sure its still not going to be a walk in the park! haha
That's the idea - it is, in some ways, the easy way out.

Very interesting! You Mount the drive unit to the frame, build a big tube that goes around the DU to hold the wheels/brakes/etc. install a 4-link suspension and done. Plenty of space for the DU and leftover space for batteries.

For axles and brakes, get your favorite units from a vehicle with IRS. Attach to the de Dion dead axle.

That straight forward?
Whether all of that is "straightforward" depends on design and fabrication abilities, but yes that's the idea.

It does not need to be a 4-link suspension - the suspension can still be leaf springs, and that was the point in the Ranger EV: to change the chassis as little as possible. If you're going to use running gear from an IRS vehicle and fabricate control arms and frame brackets, and mount hub carriers to a de Dion tube, it's not much more work to custom-build an IRS system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So here’s a question, if I wanna dive into deep enough, what’s stopping me from dropping a entire Tesla rear end subframe and attaching it to the S10 frame? Instead of coming up with something just use what Tesla is using?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The spring struts/towers will look goofy sticking out of the truck box, though I suppose you can stick a couple of American flags in them to camo them as flag pedestals. The track width is waaay too wide with an LDU.

What's being proposed is to save a LOT of work. Tesla is a really bad solution for many conversions, but brand and a rabid fanbase thiinking the tech is any better than anyone else means "Tesla motor" and "Tesla batteries".

Nothing is stopping you from doing whatever you want. It's your project, money, time, materials, and vehicle getting hacked up.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
So here’s a question, if I wanna dive into deep enough, what’s stopping me from dropping a entire Tesla rear end subframe and attaching it to the S10 frame? Instead of coming up with something just use what Tesla is using?
Just the substantially greater track width of the Tesla setup (especially Model S, although the even Model 3 is a bit wider), possible interference between the S-10 frame and parts of the Tesla suspension or subframe, and those tall shock/spring struts. If it all fits, that (or the equivalent from another donor EV) certainly an effective and rational way to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay thanks guys! The reasons you brought up are all the reasons I suspected, a buddy of mine thinks he knows all and is asking why I would be an idiot and do it any other way but drop the rear end in it.

@remy_martian you mention people just using Tesla motors because of the name, and I agree that there are easier solutions than what I’m doing.

But is there anything else that competes when compared to price and performance? Because I’m open to anything, I’m still in the planning stages here!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cascadiamotion.com

I’m trying to figure out how to get the idm190 in my ‘52. Otherwise it’s im225.

With all this talk, I found a place with corvette irs conversion brackets for old trucks, flatoutengineering.Com I didn’t see s10 on the website but maybe they can help. He hasn’t worked with electric yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts