DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alembic7
Hi from Arizona, I am a retired Architect and Designer with good mechanical skills.
Recently purchased my 56 Porsche Outlaw Speedster Replica and hope to make it EV.
I see EV West has a kit for VW and Speedsters but it seems quite expensive.
Retired means fixed income sooo...I am researching now: how powerful a motor ??
Best source and type of batteries ?? Buy a kit, or assemble the various pieces separately? etc, etc.

Anyone who has done a VW or Speedster Replica please chime in ...

·
Registered
807 Posts
I think that EV West kit is reasonable considering the value you get out of it. Not only it includes the motor/controller kit, some $5000 value, but you also get the additional components already packaged AND you get support from EV West. Perhaps if you were doing your 10th project, you could optimize and cobble something together out of leftover parts, but if you want to do it right the first time, conversion kit like that is like gold.

Here is the motor kit alone through another dealer (click on 650A) :

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
alembic7
Hi from Arizona, I am a retired Architect and Designer with good mechanical skills.
Recently purchased my 56 Porsche Outlaw Speedster Replica and hope to make it EV.
I see EV West has a kit for VW and Speedsters but it seems quite expensive.
Retired means fixed income sooo...I am researching now: how powerful a motor ??
Best source and type of batteries ?? Buy a kit, or assemble the various pieces separately? etc, etc.

Anyone who has done a VW or Speedster Replica please chime in ...
Can't beat what EVWest has to offer. It is possible if you are lucky to find the components here and there. But the motor/controller combination is already set with the HPEVS Software in the controller and it gives you more bang for the buck than a plain Curtis with Curtis software. Curtis won't help you either. I had the fortunate luck to find and cobble the parts for a dual AC-35 motor controller to put into my Bug. I had an 11" Kostov Series DC motor in it for some time but removed it and sold it to someone else. Im setting up a test bench with an AC-50 and Curtis 1238 motor controller with plain Curtis software for starters before setting up my dual motor. Just being sure I have it all working correctly before putting into the vehicle. I was hoping to find and old 1238 controllers user manual but all I get are new links to Curtis for the newest one the 1238 controllers. Oh well. My dual setup is already setup with the newest software from HPEVS. Just got them back from then a week and a half ago. Im in the process of cleaning up the dual motor adapter before putting the motors into the car.
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Trunk

Wood Gas Electric blue Musical instrument Recreation

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper Gas

Musical instrument accessory Wood Gas Electronic instrument Office equipment

Wood Musical instrument accessory Flooring Gas Rectangle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Automotive exterior

Gas Personal protective equipment Auto part Wood Wire

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would recommend to redo the top portion of the battery enclosure with a non-metallic bracket of some kind. Those cross members are way too close to the terminals. Draw it in CAD, then have one of those online places cut it out HDPE or similar.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I would recommend to redo the top portion of the battery enclosure with a non-metallic bracket of some kind. Those cross members are way too close to the terminals. Draw it in CAD, then have one of those online places cut it out HDPE or similar.
Oh, I removed those when I got the vehicle home from the building of the battery boxes. Scared the crap out of me being so close. They were close and if any bump or heavy thing landed on them it would be pretty nasty. Those are the pics before I put power to anything. But even risked putting them on with single cells under them. Thankfully they did not touch so it was ok but I took them off and they have never been back on.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Oh, I removed those when I got the vehicle home from the building of the battery boxes. Scared the crap out of me being so close. They were close and if any bump or heavy thing landed on them it would be pretty nasty. Those are the pics before I put power to anything. But even risked putting them on with single cells under them. Thankfully they did not touch so it was ok but I took them off and they have never been back on.
I need to reconfigure for Nissan Leaf Modules anyway so new top and maybe even new boxes will be in order. It will be a 144 volt system.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'd go with the hyper 9 over the HPEVs motors they have in the kits, it's an all-around better motor at a similar price point. The EVwest kits don't include batteries, but they generally use Tesla battery modules with their low-voltage projects.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts