DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
This has come up before. There are companies based in the states but their manufacturing is done outside. GM is trying to make its batteries look like they are made here but I'm thinking they might just be put together here after the cells come off the boat. If they automated the process enough to reduce the human requirements and there was a high enough demand, it might make sense. Lead-acid is made in this chunk of land although it seems apparently Trojan is farming its lead in mexico.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am just starting my first EV project and have been wondering the same thing.
Where they are made that makes little difference in the long run, since an American company would eventually move manufacturing overseas..
What I do find concerning without American companies producing cells now, means they won't own any IP in the future. An entire industry with out any input.

I am a little surprised none of the US lead-acids have invested any money in this area.

(By the way I apologize in advance for grammar and spelling)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
http://www.electrovaya.com/

This may very well be the best lithium battery in existence today.... Canadian eh?? :eek:

Too bad these guys don't sell to chumps like me....:confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for those links. It is encouraging. However, it looks like all but the last won't be selling to us anytime soon.

I've emailed electrovaya to see who is their distributor is. Canada is AOK, worked for Nortel for about 10 years.

http://www.electrovaya.com/

This may very well be the best lithium battery in existence today.... Canadian eh?? :eek:

Too bad these guys don't sell to chumps like me....:confused:

·
Registered
780 Posts
American companies.... won't own any IP in the future.
I suspect that most stuff made in China is IP from this and other countries. American companies are simply moving the jobs from here to there so they can make more money. What we are headed for is nothing more than IP-based companies that make nothing here except gather money for the few at the top.

There are some efforts to start the EV cell industry here but that will last just as long as the current party is in power; the next one will kill it for sure since they can make more money shipping that overseas.

I'll stop here before I make this too political.

JR

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Thanks for those links. It is encouraging. However, it looks like all but the last won't be selling to us anytime soon.

I've emailed electrovaya to see who is their distributor is. Canada is AOK, worked for Nortel for about 10 years.
unfortunately....they don't answer. They are only dealing with the big guys....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got an answer.. but they politely let me know I am not a big guy (if they only knew what I eat.)
Hi Dave,

Thank you for contacting us. We are very pleased to know that you are building your first EV and expect that there will be many more.

While we would like to be involved in your project, regrettably, we cannot, as we do not carry stock batteries. All EV's require a customized battery system

and we find that manufacturing a single custom unit is not cost effective.

All the best,

Sincerely

unfortunately....they don't answer. They are only dealing with the big guys....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I got an answer.. but they politely let me know I am not a big guy (if they only knew what I eat.)
Hi Dave,

Thank you for contacting us. We are very pleased to know that you are building your first EV and expect that there will be many more.

While we would like to be involved in your project, regrettably, we cannot, as we do not carry stock batteries. All EV's require a customized battery system

and we find that manufacturing a single custom unit is not cost effective.

All the best,

Sincerely
Hey, you did good getting a reply anyways. More than I ever got... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Ibatt makes large sized prismatics in PA and NJ.
http://www.internationalbattery.com/
When I inquired about their cells they asked me how many units I'd need each month. When I said I only wanted a single order of 36 cells, they never responded. So I sent my $4K to China. Probably cost me less anyway even with the shipping. Sad.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
When I inquired about their cells they asked me how many units I'd need each month. When I said I only wanted a single order of 36 cells, they never responded. So I sent my $4K to China. Probably cost me less anyway even with the shipping. Sad.
Their Lithium Nickel Cobalt Manganese (NiCoMax) looks much better than LiFePo4. Significantly better specific energy, and rate of discharge in particular. http://www.internationalbattery.com/pdf/NiCoMax-SpecSheet.pdf

·
Registered
95 Posts
I sent them an email last night. There is a very good potential for my company to use them so maybe I'll get a better response. I'll let you know how it goes.

DYIGuy....is right the power per pound (25% better then CALB) and volume (40% better then CALB) is outstanding for the NiCoMax's. Wonder what the price penalty is?

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is where I am having a problem with the different data sheets....

CALB lists their Max "Constant" current @ 4 C but only for 30 seconds. Their STD Discharge at 0.3C.

IB's "Pulse" Current @ 5C without cooling and 7C with cooling this is also for 30 seconds... Their "Continuous" Discharge at 1C.

So
CALB--------------- IB
100Ah------------- 90 Ah
Max 30 sec disc: 400Amps---------- 450 Amps
Constant disc: 30 Amps------------- 90 Amps

IB has separate higher number listed "with cooling", I wonder what type of cooling they are requiring?

Or am I reading the data sheet wrong? I'll be honest I like IB's data sheet, a lot more information.

I'm not that familiar with the NiCoMax cells but the 1C continuous max discharge rate does not seem good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This is my frustration with the data sheets.
In my mind constant <> 30 seconds.

In my battery comparison spreadsheet I'm listing current and duration.... Just using peak and continuous, has different meaning for the different venders...

BTW.. I am still talking to IB, but things are moving slowly. I really think I can use their mil specced batteries in a business application (with significant volume) so we are doing down the NDA path. Sadly, I think I'll need to get batteries for my car long before business plans are finalized with IB.

Right now I am leaning towards Thunder... since they physically fit my application the best.

Just got AC50 and Curtis in last week.. Hope adapter plates come in soon.

Standard discharge is not the same as max constant discharge, which I believe is 3C for CALB.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts