DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
I would be interested in finding out if anyone else has had problems with the “high” tech chargers and old FLA batteries.

I have had both a Zivan NG3 and one of the early Elcon chargers. These go through an automatic equalization and degassing (for the Zivan only) and after they sense that the batteries are charged to a “float” or “off” mode.
What I found, however, was that both chargers never left the equalization and degassing mode (163 volts for Zivan and 147 for Elcon -120 volt system) for older batteries. So both chargers would run for hours (until I turned them off) creating a lot gas and further degrading the batteries. When I bought new batteries the problem stopped.

From what I could find out, the chargers were not finishing the cycling because the internal resistance of the batteries increases as they age. At some point the resistance was so high that the chargers never stopped. Is this true, and has anyone had similar problems?

My batteries (T105) were down to about 2/3 of their capacity when this happened and I was hoping to use them a bit longer. The chargers however made them fail even faster. I started with the Zivan and thought there was a problem with the charger. I even sent it back to Elcon for repair, but they were unable to find a problem. I then bought the Elcon but had exactly the same problem with the new charger.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Yes, most people are expected to toss their batteries at that point.

Like you I don't do that, I use a battery until it cannot deliver any significant power.

Basically if you want to use old batteries, you need to start paying attention to how much current you draw out of them and get a simple spring wound timer and set the charge time the old fashioned way.

No way around it on many chargers because the timeout period is either
1. No timeout period or
2. WAYYY too long and too hard to enter.

LIke most things EV you are on your own to keep your investment working and learn from your mistakes.

Cheers
Ryan

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
:confused:
I would be interested in finding out if anyone else has had problems with the “high” tech chargers and old FLA batteries.
well... the 'problem' you are having is predictable in that the old FLA:
- take longer to charge
- never attain peak voltage to trigger charger reset
- may not even reach voltage to reset S.o.c. gauge

when my pack stopped triggering the auto-'done' voltage, I just added a timer to the plug and set for 2x hours the miles driven. When new the pack took about .4Kwhr/mile at the plug (including all losses and equalization), so I figure allowing .5kWhr/mile or so to charge should make up for the increasing problems charging the old FLAs.

My pack max range has dropped from close to 40 mile range to about 25 or maybe 30, and the voltage sag has gotten very noticeable after 15 miles where I used to go a solid 25 before seeing much additional sag.

so..... add a timer, squeeze out a few more miles, and consider an upgrade to new batteries or even Li if you can swing it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts