DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

not sure if i`m in the right section but heres my question.

Im in the process of buying a zeva BMS from australia, to work with our 48v home energy store made from 7 nissan leaf modules with 3 in parallel, so 21 modules in total (10.5kwh)

The zeva bms is canbus, there is a touchscreen on the can to allow the bms to be set up via the touchscreen

The zeva bms is not wireless.

So, this is where my question is going.

as the energy store is in the basement, Ideally, id like to use a wifi or bluetooth canbus dongle and the torque pro app to transmit simple data from the bms over the can for values like total pack voltage, state of charge, current, high cell v low cell v.

I already own a bluetooth dongle and torque pro app as i use it with leafspy, plus used it beroe in the prius phev conversion where there is available a custom prius pid for items i would also like to monitor from the zeva bms.

I know the zeva BMS canbus command data that the bms transmits, so it possible to make a custom pid in torque pro app to collect and display this bms data?

Or, as i know the zeva bms canbus commands, is it possible to use an arduino or similar with CAN sheild and wifi to collect and send the data to a tablet pc that can be located in our living area.

I have very little canbus or arduino skills tho.

Is this project possible?

Many thanks,
Anthony.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,

Cost to be honest, around £600 for the batrium with the 7 leafmons kit.

It does do all that we wanted, I have friends out in Oz that can ship the zeva to me as a personal parcel, cost around £300 shipped.

They both review well to be honest, if i can get the zeva to send can data wirelessly would be the icing on the cake for me.

Thanks

ps. nice rig up there too. is that in a server type rack?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also,

the zeva will work with solar inverters, it is already compatible to work in CAN mode with SMA and Victron inverters.

Ive been in contact with zeva, sent them the candata from the inverter i will be using, and they are going to add can commands into the program to enable compatibility with the inverter i will be using, so that also is a massive plus.

I`m choosing a LUX ac coupled inverter, the lux can commands are pretty much the same as the SMA candata, with 2 additional commands.

Zeva are very confident once they have slightly modified their program the zeva will talk to the inverter, then the inverter will control fully the battery with the bms that only acting as a secondary control system.

If it doesnt work out of the box i may need to do alittle debugging here with them giving assistance, but it looks pretty promising.

Anthony

·
Registered
28 Posts
ps. nice rig up there too. is that in a server type rack?
Yep, certainly not cheap, we purchased a few for a commercial project, but ended up going with REC - I'll keep all of the Batrium kit for home projects.

That image is upside down, it's fine here - it's just using the clamping plates as per the assembled pack. Perhaps easier to see here, half of what will be an 8S12P battery, oddly also upside down)

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts