DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed them with a question (problem I'm having) on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and they haven't responded.

I have three of their chargers in three different cars, and I think they're great. I have dealt with them quite a bit, and they're usually pretty good about getting right back to you, within a day.

Anybody know if something bad is happening over there?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I emailed them with a question (problem I'm having) on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and they haven't responded.

I have three of their chargers in three different cars, and I think they're great. I have dealt with them quite a bit, and they're usually pretty good about getting right back to you, within a day.

I sent a charger to get reprogrammed last year, and it took ages. They said they were working on other projects /shrug. You could just avoid them and buy straight from Tc, if you had to.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please forgive me, but who is Tc?

I don’t need to buy one, though I may need mine repaired or reprogrammed. Does Tc do this?

I am getting an error code...
R-G-R-G- indefinitely, Indicating that either the DC fuse is blown (which it isn’t, according to their test procedure) or that the battery voltage is too high or too low, which it isn’t.

Incidentally, that code, and the fuse test procedure, is not in their owners manual. I found it in their FAQs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Please forgive me, but who is Tc?

I don’t need to buy one, though I may need mine repaired or reprogrammed. Does Tc do this?

I am getting an error code...

R-G-R-G- indefinitely, Indicating that either the DC fuse is blown (which it isn’t, according to their test procedure) or that the battery voltage is too high or too low, which it isn’t.

Incidentally, that code, and the fuse test procedure, is not in their owners manual. I found it in their FAQs.
Elcon just sells and services Tc chargers out of China. You can buy them direct on aliexpress from Greenstore. The service isn't any better, but the prices are.

Was that FAQ specifically for that model of charger? The light codes aren't always the same.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I’m not exactly sure which model I have. It has the single fan, so it’s not be 1500, but the algorithm sticker, which is from 2012, photo attached, says 1350W at 115V, and 2000W at 230V. So maybe I have a 2000W model that they don’t make anymore. I was looking at the model 2500 owners manual, but the FAQs are apparently for all models, and they have a set of error codes in them too.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts

Sounds like you know what you are doing. Did you push the button during power up until it flashed 10 times? This sets it to the 142V. I’m assuming you did this step.

Try taking one cell out to see if it really thinks you are over the limit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What gave rise to the problem is that I put in new cells, and added two cells to a 40 cell pack. Even with 42 cells, the old programming should cover the charging… It’s a 520V algorithm 133-142V in 1V steps. I’m trying to charge it to 142, Which is about 3.38V per cell.

With 40 cells, it was on algorithm 4, 136 V. I tried to change it to algorithm 10. It would only go to 7. Now when I plug it in, I get seven red, one green, then it goes into the R-G-R-G- error. I tested the output fuse per their instructions, it tests OK. When I unplug it, it flashes RGRGR 3 times, then stops. I reduced the cell voltage to 134 (resting, not just sagging) and it still does the same thing. I found your recent thread with Jbman. So…That’s where I’m at.

You know, something just dawned on me. It may be canbus enabled.
Let me check on that with one of my electric car club members.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, pdove,

It’s not RGRG it’s R-G-R-G- with a second in between each flash.
Both codes are listed in the FAQs.

Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ok, I don't know anything about the FAQ's on Elcon site but I do know what is in the firmware.

The way the software works is that it puts out a repeating patter of eight flash. It will flash RG in 1 second intervals for eight seconds and then repeat.

The way they denote the meaning in the manual is for instance is RGRGRG _ _ which means external thermal sensor fault. So it flashes red one second later green one second later red one second later green one second later red one second later green then two seconds of nothing then it repeats.

So RGRG _ _ _ _ means battery overheated

RGRGR _ _ _ means incorrect AC Voltage.

So, using this notation what is yours blinking?

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Ok, I don't know anything about the FAQ's on Elcon site but I do know what is in the firmware.

The way the software works is that it puts out a repeating patter of eight flash. It will flash RG in 1 second intervals for eight seconds and then repeat.

The way they denote the meaning in the manual is for instance is RGRGRG _ _ which means external thermal sensor fault. So it flashes red one second later green one second later red one second later green one second later red one second later green then two seconds of nothing then it repeats.

So RGRG _ _ _ _ means battery overheated

RGRGR _ _ _ means incorrect AC Voltage.

So, using this notation what is yours blinking?
If you mean that the entire sequence always takes periods of one second each and during each period the indicator is either red (R), green (G), or off (_), then...

RGRG____ would mean battery overheated, and

RGRGR___ would mean incorrect AC Voltage.

If that's how it works, then...

It’s not RGRG it’s R-G-R-G- with a second in between each flash.
... this would be "R_G_R_G_"

But I now nothing about this charger... only trying to clarify the communication. :)

The FAQ section mentioned is presumably this one:
What are the LED error messages on a Elcon PFC charger?
If there is an error condition and the charger is not charging, it will repeatedly display one of the following error messages on the Red-Green LED. The dash stands for one second.

RG - - - - - - Wrong battery or battery voltage too high.

RGR - - - - - Time out. There is a time limit for each charging stage. Your batteries may be too big or too old, or the Amp Hour selection is wrong.

RGRG - - - - Battery temperature too high. Put a cooling fan on the batteries while charging or improve ventilation and spacing.

RGRGR - - - AC voltage too high or too low. Should be between 100 and 240VAC.

RGRGRG - - Battery temperature probe is required but is missing or defective.

RGRGRGR - Communication error (CAN Bus only).

R - G - R - G - Battery not connected or out of specification or DC output fuse blown (or waiting for CAN command).

GR - - - - - - Charger overheated. Unplug it and let it cool down. Put a fan on it while charging.
They put spaces between the dashes which represent off seconds, but not between the seconds which represent lit seconds, which I think is confusing. So then Clipper's code would be " R - G - R - G -", which the FAQ lists as battery not connected, etc. (including perhaps not enabled because it is waiting for a CAN command). The "RGRG - - - -" in the FAQ would be the other code, with no time between red and green, meaning "battery temperature too high".

·
Registered
374 Posts
Like I said I don't believe that is in the code no matter what they say on that FAQ page. It is also not in the manual from the manufacturer

http://www.electriccarpartscompany....m-Lead_Acid_Battery Charger_TCCH_PFC-1500.pdf

so RGRG _ _ _ _ means battery temperature too high. However, most of these do not come with a battery temperature probe so you have to connect pin 1 to pin 3 to enable the charge this fault means it doesn't see 12 volts on that pin.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Like I said I don't believe that is in the code no matter what they say on that FAQ page. It is also not in the manual from the manufacturer

http://www.electriccarpartscompany....m-Lead_Acid_Battery Charger_TCCH_PFC-1500.pdf

so RGRG _ _ _ _ means battery temperature too high. However, most of these do not come with a battery temperature probe so you have to connect pin 1 to pin 3 to enable the charge this fault means it doesn't see 12 volts on that pin.
Now that has clear notation, with spaces for readability between every symbol:

LED Flashing Sequence (One Cycle) and Indication
1 R G _ _ _ _ _ _ Wrong Battery
2 R G R _ _ _ _ _ Overcharged
3 R G R G _ _ _ _ Battery Overheated
4 R G R G R _ _ _ Incorrect AC Input Voltage
5 R G R G R G _ _ External Thermal Sensor Fault
6 R G R G R G R _ Communication Interface Fault
7 G R _ _ _ _ _ _ Charger Overheated
8 G R G _ _ _ _ _ Charger Relay Fault
9 G R G R _ _ _ _ Charger Itself Fault
But I see what you mean... no "R _ G _R _ G _" in that table, just in the Elcon FAQ.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
R_G_R_G... means it's in state zero, not charging.

This can be for a few reasons:
  • There is no battery detected.
  • The DC output fuse is blown (less likely)
  • The battery is "out of spec", probably too high in voltage.
  • It is waiting for an enable signal on pin 1 of the 7-pin round connector.

You will only see the other series of error codes (with no gaps, except at the end to separate the sequences) when you get out of state zero.

Given that you have recently increased the number of cells, I'd say that's the reason. You probably need a few goes to get past setting 7, if possible. It may be that the model you have simply doesn't go past 139 V, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The signal is R_G_R_G_ ... goes on indefinitely, One second flashes with one “off” second between flashes.

When I unplug the charger, it goes through three cycles of RGRGR_ _ _ with no time between the five flashes.

Also, I looked in the canbus connector this morning. There is a jumper between 1 and 3. Photo attached.

I have checked the output fuse per their instructions, I have good continuity between the green interlock wire and the red output wire. About 0.2 ohms resistance.

I have drained the pack voltage to about 132V (resting) to make sure it is low enough to start charging.

So here’s the question, I guess. I read the stuff on EV West’s webpage about the 2 to 5 V control (pin 1 to pin 2) of the maximum current output. So the pin one to pin three jumper effectively just bypasses CAN bus control, by putting 12 V on the pin one enable circuit. Making the chosen algorithm the controlling factor of the maximum current. Correct?

If that is the case, then the only viable diagnosis is that my pack voltage is still too high to initiate charging.

And presumably, by extension, if I can’t initiate charging, then I can’t change the algorithm.

So to test this theory, I need to further lower my pack voltage, as others have advised me to.

But if that works, the long-term solution is that I still need to send the charger to Elcon for reprogramming. I’ll try calling them tomorrow.

Thank you all for your help so far...!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boy, am I stoopit.

Howdy all,

The photo below shows an Anderson connector with the black contact backed off just enough so it didn’t make a connection. That is my main DC connection between the charger and the pack.

I put in a slightly larger Anderson connector, and the pack is happily charging away, at 14.8A on setting 10.

In my opinion, this board has the best and brightest minds available… I am SO sorry to have wasted your time.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great news, in hindsight that makes purge the sense. A red green flash on one second intervals means battery disconnected

1 - 18 of 18 Posts