DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2012 or 13 model and am about to set it up on the Soliton. I broke 2 Advance 9” and don’t want to do this one! I’ve read where a number of them have failed so I’m a little gun shy.

The last 9 I had the current set at 700A max I believe. Had a slight emergency and drove about 10 miles at 80 or so mph in the S10 and it let go shortly after exiting the freeway.

Really hoping some of you have had a good run with one and will share your data.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have a 11-192 in 88 ranger for 6-7 years maybe 18000 miles pushed by a 196 split volt pack and a 1st gen sol1. Makes max 165 hp @ 400 comm amps for about 2 minutes until the comm overtemp sensor fires on. Won't push as much hp as the advance, but within the specs seems to work ok. At this mileage in a high silica dust environment of Reno, the brushes are needing replacement, which was $ 400 through helwig since KOSTOV doesn't seem to be around any more. Don't know anyone that got the factory rpm sensor to work. I like it for what it is: russian built workhorse, no frills, no glitter.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 11-192 in 88 ranger for 6-7 years maybe 18000 miles pushed by a 196 split volt pack and a 1st gen sol1. Makes max 165 hp @ 400 comm amps for about 2 minutes until the comm overtemp sensor fires on. Won't push as much hp as the advance, but within the specs seems to work ok. At this mileage in a high silica dust environment of Reno, the brushes are needing replacement, which was $ 400 through helwig since KOSTOV doesn't seem to be around any more. Don't know anyone that got the factory rpm sensor to work. I like it for what it is: russian built workhorse, no frills, no glitter.
Hi thanks for the data! Nice pack btw! I'm at 165V.

I have a few ? if you don't mind. What controller and what do you have it set at for max current? I have a 1000A soliton set to 700A. Blew up two Advance 9" so I'm not wanting to deal with that anymore!

Do you have a blower installed? Mine came from Rebirth and had a blower with a shroud. I'm putting it on the back in suction mode now. I may have that temp sensor turn the blower on so it doesn't go all the time. Did you ohm out the temp sensor? Mine read 565 ohms today and that doesn't make any sense.

I've wondered about the tach sensor. Looked at it today. It's tiny but hard to get to, impossible I'd say without taking the end bell off. Would be nice to use it instead of the one I installed.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have a rev -1 soliton 1 as mentioned, set for 750 max battery amps (which I never hit) I think 275 kw max motor watts ( these settings are in the sub menus of the settings page) I use the factory armature fan only even in summer in reno. Not a heat issue there if the revs stay high and it isn't maxxed out. I Either don't use the temp sensor or it failed but 565 ohm sounds right. I believe resistance decreases as it gets hotter, correct for thermistors, I have mosfet inverter amps driving factory gauges. You can get to the bulgarian shaft rpm sensor through the cooling vents, but it takes modded tools or crowsfoot wrenches. I just bought a lovejoy fitting and a cherry prox sensor for the front.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a rev -1 soliton 1 as mentioned, set for 750 max battery amps (which I never hit) I think 275 kw max motor watts ( these settings are in the sub menus of the settings page) I use the factory armature fan only even in summer in reno. Not a heat issue there if the revs stay high and it isn't maxxed out. I Either don't use the temp sensor or it failed but 565 ohm sounds right. I believe resistance decreases as it gets hotter, correct for thermistors, I have mosfet inverter amps driving factory gauges. You can get to the bulgarian shaft rpm sensor through the cooling vents, but it takes modded tools or crowsfoot wrenches. I just bought a lovejoy fitting and a cherry prox sensor for the front.
Thanks for the reply! Today I drove it a bit hard checking the transmission shifting. With the blower going and temps around 60F the motor was still pretty warm but I was letting the trans decide the RPM. It ran mostly around 1500-2000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts