DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the brink of transferring $2800 to this company for a 96v 100ah LiFePO4 battery pack. Everything I can find about them looks legit. I've been corresponding with the sales guy for over a month. If they are fake they are sure putting a lot of effort into looking real.
https://www.rj-lithium.com/aboutus.html

Before I pull the trigger (or chicken out) I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has heard of them or used them. All my googling hasn't brought up anything from other customers.
I'm guessing they do mostly Business to Business sales. Possibly no Scam Alerts on the googles is a good sign.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Contact Mr Jordan Samuel, the American who visited the factory. Maybe he would tell you if it is for real. According to the press-release type story on their about me page:

https://www.rj-lithium.com/aboutus.html

but using google-foo i found this nearly identical story about the same American at another company:
March 30, 2018-- Today, IGSS from USA, Mr. Jordan Samuel( CEO), Mr. Don Shewchenko( Director) and Mr. Andrew Wang( Project manager) visited GSL ENERGY Shenzhen factory for ESS cooperation.
https://www.gsl-energy.com/usa-client-visits-gsl-energy-for-ess-business-cooperation-in-2018

And another group of features for gsl-energy:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/831828993653960035/

Sorry to sound negative, but it would be worth doing some more research about these three companies. maybe one is the plant and the other does the sales and one is the scam? But i'm leary of anyone claiming Nigerian business ties after all the scam letters from Princes i have recd over the years. This is the quote in the story:

“ Thanks very much for Mr. Jim Deng to arrange a nice factory trip here in China for us “, said by Mr. Jordan Samuel, “ We are so impressed by GSL ENERGY professional solution on ESS business. We at present positively develop African market with our local partners in Nigeria . We will need GSL ENERGY to develop PAY-AS-YOU-GO system and we will need to purchase 30 K sets ESS500W and ESS3000W this year. Of course, we will pay R&D cost to GSL ENERGY engineering team."

Don S is listed as director. He is also shown as a director of Mims Motors (electric car maker)
https://mimsmotorsusa.com/corporate

Good Luck, maybe some of the guys from down under know this company and can chime in.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Wow big first order for a roll of the dice.

Even if they are legit and "honest" by Chinese standards, what makes you think the batteries they sell are of good quality?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They offer a warranty.
"6000cycles-5years Warranty- lifespan>15years-CE/IEC 62133 certificated."

They're "Certificated"! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Do some research on how much it will cost you to ship your warranty return back to them.

At least 10x what the original shipping costs.

And that assumes they'd honor it in the first place.

Hey maybe everything will be great, give them a go and report back here!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I get tired of hearing the negative remarks about stuff that comes from china
it funny because the bulk of what you buy from places like EV west and EVTV get there stuff from China -

I just received a shipment of 72 NMC batteries I purchased on Alibaba - they are 3.65 volt 72 AH and weight is 1.3 KG - They were packed very nicely and the price was only $35USD - The company that sold them to me make and sell a lot of batteries.

OK they might not be the greatest batteries and perhaps they will crap out in a few years but the batteries that came in my Mitsubishi I - Miev have lost 20% of there charge in 30,000 Kilometers

I would say it is a lot riskier if you do not use alibaba because they at least will not release the money to the seller until the shipment is sent off and if they do you a bad deal they can get a bad name and kicked off if it is bad enough.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked the guy for some previous customers to contact and he sent me some emails that look legit, or at least their English is getting better than whoever wrote the factory visit summary.
I know all the stuff comes from China and I'm not as much worried about the quality of the product, but more, am I actually going to receive a product. Once I send a bank transfer that money isn't coming back.
They do take Paypal for an extra fee. I might do that because Paypal has some anti-fraud policies and I'd have half a chance of getting my money back if I never receive the battery.
If I buy this and it actually turns out to be legit I will sing their praises to all ends of the internet.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd be more worried about the battery quality than being ripped off outright.

Yes their accepting PayPal is a good indicator of an operator with customer service practices at least relatively similar to what we take for granted in the west, it is a very different business culture there.

IMO it is worth any extra fees for the PP buyer protection, which is much better than Ali's.

Ideally, also use PP to charge a western bank's credit card that also offers member protection, they can be even better than PayPal.

I would specify your go/no-go standards for margin of lower capacity tested at the C-rate you plan to use when testing, and do that in the first week after accepting the shipment.

Also, if possible, ESR/IR variability.

Personally, I'd get a small shipment of samples first, but if shipping costs are very high or you are in a hurry that may not be worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I'm interested in buying from RJ Energy in China and was wondering if anyone on this thread ended up buying batteries from them and if so did you end up getting quality batteries? If you didn't end up buying from them, why so? Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought mine from them. As far as I can tell it's good. I've only discharged/recharged it once so far so I can't say a lot about the actual capacity. I'm not super savvy about how to test a battery pack like this. I'll do some more charge/discharge cycles and report back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As I know LiFePO4 is a good battery, eco, no toxic chemicals so that's why I bought some from them as well. Good quality I would say even they are from China. China actually produces good products, it just depends where they export. You shouldn't worry if it's a developed country. BTW, it's awesome that people choose renewable energy and so on. I decided to change my energy and gas supplier with usave compare and save online | usave.co.uk in in order to save more money and buy the newest hybrid car. Some recommendations?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I bought mine from them. As far as I can tell it's good. I've only discharged/recharged it once so far so I can't say a lot about the actual capacity. I'm not super savvy about how to test a battery pack like this. I'll do some more charge/discharge cycles and report back.
If rough is good enough, any Ah counting wattmeter will do.

Fully charge as per mfg spec (more than you should in normal cycling)

then turn on a load that takes between say 2-4 hours to use up the rated capacity.

Shut off the load when voltage reaches the mfg spec LVC (lower than you should in normal cycling), record your Ah discharged.

And immediately start recharging at least to storage voltage, 40-60% SoC (do not store full).

If you do this precisely the same way every 200 cycles or annually, you will be able to judge how quickly SoH% drops

which gives a good idea of the build quality of the battery.

Assuming you are caring for it properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts