DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only need a piece of about 4 inches long by about 1 inch wide and half an inch thick.
I'm getting the hang of this "inches" thing huh? :cool: Who needs millimetres after all?

Yeah, so I only need a little bit. Not sure what it's worth but someone make me an offer if they have a slice lying about.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Just take some copper tubing, smash it flat, add another for desired thickness and drill the holes.

Wala....a bus bar.

I just made two that way, for my 2 solenoids, that cut off the NEG bat power.

I ran 2, $10.00, 48 volt solenoids in parallel, rather that spend $116. on a contactor.

Works great.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've heard of that method but it sounds... kinda... unique looking.
You don't have a picture of how it turned out? It'll be going into my main control box which I really want to keep pretty.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The thing about copper tubing is that it's not very high quality copper. It can end up making for a somewhat high resistance connection. And half an inch thick? I think that might be a little overboard... :D

There's a chance that a company that does ductwork and that kind of thing might have some copper. You should be able to obtain it locally.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Coley, no sorry. I think my spam guard must have pushed it away.
Not to worry, a mate in Auckland has whipped up a busbar for me out of some chunky copper plate. Looks nice now! I'll post a picture tonight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts