1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
As major pointed out, as a synchronous AC motor it has a three-phase (and so three-wire) connection from motor to inverter/controller. Since NetGain has not previously offered AC motors, their existing controllers are only DC; the motor announcement says that it is being offered as a package with a suitable controller. EV West says it is an AC-X1 by SME Group (which SME gets from a Chinese manufacturer). This leads to them calling it an "integrated system", but the inverter isn't mounted on the motor - it's just that the controller/inverter is chosen to be suitable for the motor, and they're sold together.

In the image of the motor in the announcement, only two input terminals are clearly visible. That's just an unfortunate camera angle, almost hiding the third terminal on one end behind a cable.

NetGain motor performance data seems nearly useless to me, based on a bizarre and simplistic test method which appears to result from a lack of proper test equipment. I don't think there's any point in comparing data published by NetGain for the WarP 9 to the data for the HyPer 9.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just happened across this "hyper 9" package today - I'm actually kind of optimistic about it, where it seems it bridges a bit of the price gap between some of the AC drive systems that are considered standard today. The MSRP on the system is $4150 from the manufacturer... meaning an OEM could probably source these complete for $2500-3000? The voltage range is right around a 30S lithium pack... which is somewhat easy to manage IMO. I have been planning to order a ZEVA and a Motenergy ME1002 for my current project but would certainly consider this AC drive were it cost competitive! The ZEVA + motor will run me about $2500 including the vehicle telemetry stuff that ZEVA offers. Clear benefits are the motor is sealed from debris, and back EMF won't limit my speed! Certainly curious to see whether these turn out to be great or not!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you in australia dain? where abouts?
the hyper9 is 5700 here from evworks, its a bit much for me but its a lot cheaper than other ac stuff...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Newp not an Ozzie, I'm located in Iowa, USA! I definitely think they have something here if it performs like it says it will for the money - that is really the key to having a successful product in my mind... is making a claim and having your product do exactly what it says it will!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Planning on using Hyper9 for Z3 Conversion

I'll probably be a guinea pig too, but it'll take a while to give you results since I'm still in the planning and procurement phase and am planning to pull the motor out of my donor Z3 in January.

I'm currently looking at this motor and Tesla smart car batteries from EVWest. They've done Z3s in the past and can make me the adapter plate and motor mounts that'll fit.

The motor looks very promising with 173 ft-lb torque and 120bhp compared to the AC75 at 183 ft-lb and 78 bhp and the Hyper9 is some 90 pounds lighter. With that motor and the Tesla batteries, I think I can get the car within 200 lbs of stock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bumping this thread because I just stumbled on this motor. The dealer sites say they were taking pre-orders back in late summer for November delivery.

Are there any of these out in the wild yet? Like others have said, it is a very tempting package on paper and I'd like to see some real world experience/performance. I agree with Brian that the performance data from Netgain looks pretty worthless.

Like so many of these things, maybe the simplest answer to my question is to drop by EV West and ask them about it in person. It may be a couple weeks before I can get over there, but if I get more info on the Hyper9 from them I'll be sure to share it here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I visited EV West during Christmas week. They were officially closed, but a few folks were there working on pet projects. My wife and daughter caught a ride in the VW bus and were impressed with how “peppy” it was.

I didn’t catch a ride, but noticed it was incredibly quiet and pulled away rather quickly. Netgain says it’s ideal for a small to medium-sized vehicle.

I want to use the HyPer9 in a 1928 Chevy sedan, but am concerned about performance on hills. I wonder if they’re going to come out with a Hyper11?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I want to use the HyPer9 in a 1928 Chevy sedan, but am concerned about performance on hills. I wonder if they’re going to come out with a Hyper11?
Since Netgain just distributes the motor, which is made by SME (probably in China), that depends on whether or not a distributor (Netgain or anyone else) sees enough market to get SME to put a larger variation in production. Since this is a low-voltage motor, I suspect that the market for higher power is not very large.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Hyper9. How would this motor run against an induction motor with roughly the same voltage?
There's more to a motor than voltage. You're gonna have to be more specific.
Yes, a lot more. But you can compare a chosen version of the HyPer9 (regular or HV) against the induction motors from HPEVS, picking a motor which you find comparable (in size, for instance), and using the performance data for comparable supply voltage published by both companies.
HPEVS AC Electric Motor Drive Systems
HyPer 9 ™ and HyPer 9D ™ - SRIPM Motors
One caution: HPEVS shows DC link voltage and current (from the battery into the controller), while NetGain shows the more rational (for a motor comparison) AC RMS voltage and current (from the controller to the motor). They are not directly comparable at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm looking at using a HyPer9 motor with a Chevy Volt battery.

Reconfiguring the Volt battery pack, I'm looking at running 4 parallel chains of ~90V (2 of the ~45V modules in each series). A question came up in the Chevy Volt Battery thread as to whether this would have enough voltage to get me comfortably to highway speeds.

Looking at the performance charts it looks to me like I should get there. Peak power is around 3600 RPM, which gets me 120 kph in 4th gear.

Do any of the guinea pigs here have experience running these motors in a small car at 90-100V to suggest I'm headed in a reasonable direction?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts