DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a small machine shop in Van Nuys California and am nearing completion on my first car converion. I have the space, tools and most of the knowledge required to do conversions for others, but would really like to have a partner. Is there anyone in the LA area that would be interested in this?

Thanks,
Dan

· Registered
76 Posts
Dan,

I would be interested. I'm in Glendora so its not terribly far from you. I have a long list of experience in the aftermarket industry and I'm an engineer by trade.

Did you have a specific type of conversion (performance? commuter?) that you would be focusing on?

-Eric

I run a small machine shop in Van Nuys California and am nearing completion on my first car converion. I have the space, tools and most of the knowledge required to do conversions for others, but would really like to have a partner. Is there anyone in the LA area that would be interested in this?

Thanks,
Dan

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In any industry, there are always a select few customers that want the best of the best. I would ultimately love to build cars from scratch ie. tube fame or kit cars. That said there is a larger customer base to be served by working on all types of vehicles.

I have built and run my 944, which I would say is a performance car. When it ran a few weeks ago at Laguna Seca it put a dent in quite a few Tesla S owners egos. I have just purchased a '74 Subaru DL which is similar in shape and style to the '72 white zombie. I have my eye on doing a dual 9" setup in that car. But I am also in the process of updating a '63 3 wheeled street legal golf cart called the 'Sports Rider'. When the golf cart is finished I have an electric harbor boat that my father owns that I plan on trading out the motor, controller, and batteries.

So really I think, anything and everything.

· Registered
76 Posts
In any industry, there are always a select few customers that want the best of the best. I would ultimately love to build cars from scratch ie. tube fame or kit cars. That said there is a larger customer base to be served by working on all types of vehicles.

I have built and run my 944, which I would say is a performance car. When it ran a few weeks ago at Laguna Seca it put a dent in quite a few Tesla S owners egos. I have just purchased a '74 Subaru DL which is similar in shape and style to the '72 white zombie. I have my eye on doing a dual 9" setup in that car. But I am also in the process of updating a '63 3 wheeled street legal golf cart called the 'Sports Rider'. When the golf cart is finished I have an electric harbor boat that my father owns that I plan on trading out the motor, controller, and batteries.

So really I think, anything and everything.
That seems reasonable since the market is really still in its infancy. Eventually data could be collected from those conversions to see what works best for a kit car as I'm certainly with you on the ultimate goal of producing cars from scratch. The front end below is one of the projects I'm working on, designed and built by me.(note that the tierods are not in there final location, bump steer would be out of control if they were). This geometry will hopefully be my test bed to eventually offering a kit car.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjmxpyo741zuzyb/20140605_202746.jpg

· Registered
23 Posts
If you are looking to start an EV business, I may be able to assist you with EV batteries (made in San Dimas) and other equipment you may need. I have several 150 kW complete EV drive systems for sale as well, and am assisting an EV transmission company with their launch.

Contact me if you have an interest or need. Best of luck to you.

Russ

· Registered
11 Posts

Thanks,
Dan
I have successfully converted a ordinary car (a VW)into a plugin hybrid electric vehicle with 50 miles drive range and 50 m/h speed using two 96V 80AH lithium batteries installed in the car trunk. The conversion procedure is very simple and does not change the original car's engine and drive system. You can still drive your car using gas as usual but you can switch to electric drive in seconds any time you want. I already have patent protection and would like partner to join me in this project to make inner city drive emission free, since we can make every car on the road to use electric within city range.

· Registered
3 Posts

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan! Are you still looking for a partner.

· Registered
2 Posts
If you are looking to start an EV business, I may be able to assist you with EV batteries (made in San Dimas) and other equipment you may need. I have several 150 kW complete EV drive systems for sale as well, and am assisting an EV transmission company with their launch.

Contact me if you have an interest or need. Best of luck to you.

Russ
Hi Russ,
I'm converting my Ducati to an EV. I've removed all ICE parts & am currently looking for a battery pack for it. I have a motor & controller already but I'm thinking of possibly upgrading to a more powerful pair. Please send me specs on the batteries you have. Covid-19 put a hold on my Boxster conversion -- it's at my uncle's ranch & they're not allowing visitors. I'll be needing all EV powertrain parts for it later on.

I attached pics of my bike & car EV projects.

Thanks, James

Attachments

· Registered
27 Posts
Hi Russ,
I'm converting my Ducati to an EV. I've removed all ICE parts & am currently looking for a battery pack for it. I have a motor & controller already but I'm thinking of possibly upgrading to a more powerful pair. Please send me specs on the batteries you have. Covid-19 put a hold on my Boxster conversion -- it's at my uncle's ranch & they're not allowing visitors. I'll be needing all EV powertrain parts for it later on.

I attached pics of my bike & car EV projects.

Thanks, James
Hey EVriderz, I've built a few electric dirt bikes, and for your size of a bike, I would recommend a larger motor than we use.
The ME1616 is the same motor used in a lot of Zero Motorcycles, and pairing it up to a Sevcon controller is probably the best combo. Here is the specs on that motor.
Specifications
  • Power: 20 kW Continuous, 55 kW Peak
  • 5 pole motor
  • Maximum recommended rotor speed: 6000 RPM
  • Voltage: 48 to 120 VDC input to the control
  • Torque constant of 0.33 Nm per Amp
  • Armature Inertia: 45 Kg Cm Squared
  • Current: 250 Amps AC continuous
  • Peak current: 550 Amps AC for 1 minute
  • Weight: 48 pounds
  • Peak Stall Torque: 134 Nm.
  • Cooling: Water cooled (50% Glycol)
  • Includes temperature sensor
This good power and lower weight. Here is a good Package, but you want to go to 120V if you can for more speed. The torque constant is good on this motor.
This kit only goes to 96V, and you want water cooling, but you can use the radiator on the bike, one of them if there are 2. Pumps are easy to get ( Prius Inverter pump)
Sevcon seems to be the best Controller, it is just expensive to program.
If you want to talk more about this, start another post, and or send me a personal message, and I can help.

· Registered
1 Posts

Thanks,
Dan
hey can i get your number?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.